January 9, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Friday roundup – Jan. 5 through Jan. 9, 2015

THIS WEEK IN POVERTY/REGION
Poverty continues to increase and move into suburban areas across the country and in the region. Though there are some success stories in addressing the great need for assistance for low-income residents in these areas, help is slow-moving and can prove difficult for residents to navigate. (The Atlantic, 1/7)

Some regions have begun to address the problems created by suburban poverty, but they’re finding the work is slow going.

After all, suburbs are often much more spread out than cities, and organization has to be done at a county-wide or multi-county level. To reach the same number of low-income families that an organization might once have reached in one urban neighborhood, groups have to work across counties or regions. It can be difficult to change how programs are administered. The federal government spends $82 billion to fight poverty, but it’s funneled through 81 programs and 10 different agencies.

But some regions are succeeding. Montgomery County, Maryland, for instance, established a network to reach low-income residents who might not have been aware of the benefits available to them, with volunteers knocking on far-flung suburban doors to check in on residents […].

THIS WEEK IN CSR
– WRAG’S Director of Corporate Strategy, Katy Moore, shared her prescription for professional-development-deficiency for corporate social responsibility professionals in need. (Volunteer Match, 12/18)

THIS WEEK IN THE ENVIRONMENT
– Advocates are steadily working toward a cleaner, swimmable Anacostia River, but understand it won’t come easy. (WaPo, 1/4)

THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION
– As part of a new partnership between the state of Maryland and Microsoft, 870,000 public school students in the state will get free Microsoft Office 365 software. Maryland is the first state to embark on such a partnership. (WaPo, 1/9)

– Today, President Obama will announce a new plan that will assist adults with attending two-year community college for free and will address growing income inequality. (NYT, 1/9)

A ‘Sizable Decrease’ In Those Passing the GED (NPR, 1/9)

THIS WEEK IN THE DISTRICT
– The U.S. Olympic Committee has chosen Boston over D.C., Los Angeles, and San Francisco as the city that will go on to vie to host the 2024 Olympics. (WaPo, 1/8)

THIS WEEK IN AFFORDABLE HOUSING
– We got a glimpse at the newest appointees to D.C’s housing and development team. (WCP, 1/5)

– D.C. may soon see an uptick in foreclosures. Housing advocates say that’s a good thing (WaPo, 1/8)

WRAG EVENTS NEXT WEEK
Healthy Communities Working Group: January Meeting (WRAG members)
Monday, January 12, 2015  12:00PM – 2:00PM

CEO Coffee & Conversation: Bringing National Funders into the Region (Rescheduled, for WRAG member CEOs)
Wednesday, January 14, 2015  9:00AM – 10:30AM

Check out this list of America’s Top 25 Best-Performing Large Cities. Something’s missing!