January 23, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Friday roundup – Jan. 19 through Jan. 23, 2015

THIS WEEK IN LGBT NEWS
Mayor Muriel Bowser has appointed activists Sheila Alexander-Reid and Terrance Laney as the head and deputy director of the newly renamed Office of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Affairs. (DCist, 1/22)

Along with these two appointments, Bowser also announced a slight, yet nonetheless significant change to the Office Alexander-Reid and Laney will be leading. The office, which was previously known as the Office of GLBT Affairs is now the Office of LGBT Affairs to “better align with the community’s embrace of the term LGBT,” Bowser said.

Though gay marriage is legal in D.C., there’s still quite a bit of issues facing the LGBTQ community, and Alexander-Reid outlined what some of those priorities would be. “We have a lot to celebrate,” she said, “but we still have a lot of work to do.” Affordable housing, AIDS awareness, access to equal healthcare, and a focus on the transgender community are all priorities Alexander-Reid said her office would focus on.

THIS WEEK IN THE REGION
– With a new year upon us, many researchers took a look further into the future with some helpful graphs and  maps showing how the workforce may look in the next five years, and how the region may change over the next 15 years. (WaPo, 1/18 and Urban Institute 1/22)

THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION
– $20 million in investments were announced to support programming and to open a new college prep school in the District for black and Latino male students. The plan is known as the “Empowering Males of Color” initiative. (WaPo, 1/21)

– Researchers found that sending text messages to high school students nudging them to complete their required college forms made them more likely to enroll in college. The research team also found that sending helpful text messages to low-income freshman students made them more likely to return and complete their sophomore year. (NYT, 1/17)

THIS WEEK IN TRANSIT/EQUITY
– Arlington County seeks to connect more residents with access to bikeshare programs by allowing cash memberships to the unbanked. Bikeshare programs typically require a credit card for subscriptions. (GGW, 1/21)

THIS WEEK IN PHILANTHROPY
– In an op-ed, Phil Buchanan, president of the Center for Effective Philanthropy, shared his thoughts on the supposedly “broken nonprofit model,” and why he thinks nonprofits deserve a little more credit. (Chronicle, 1/20)

– The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has released their seventh annual letter. Here are the three biggest takeaways from this year’s message. (Chronicle, 1/23)

London’s urban skyline will continue to make people a little hungry.

One Comment

Trackbacks

1. Disparities follow many into retirement |