January 30, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Friday roundup – Jan. 26 through Jan. 30, 2015

THIS WEEK IN HOMELESSNESS
– This week, volunteers conducted the annual point-in-time survey and saw the number of homeless individuals in emergency care in the District surpass 4,000. With numbers continuing to swell, the city may be on pace to see even higher numbers of sheltered homeless than last year. (WCP, 1/29 and WaPo, 1/29)

THIS WEEK IN THE ECONOMY
– The Washington Post presented a revealing series on the vanishing wealth of the black middle class in Prince George’s County due to the housing crisis. In case you missed it, check out part 1, part 2 and part 3. (WaPo, 1/24, 1/25, 1/26)

Maryland Budget Cuts Would Hit Black Residents Harder Lawmakers Say (WAMU, 1/29)

THIS WEEK IN THE WRAG COMMUNITY
– Voices from the WRAG community were all over the local news this week! WRAG president Tamara Copeland’s letter to the editor in support of a regional summit on Greater Washington’s economy was published in the Washington Business Journal. Copeland, along with other philanthropy thought leaders, like Rosie Allen-Herring of the United Way of the National Capital Area and Vikki Spruill of the Council of Foundations, were featured in the Capital Business article on what’s next for philanthropy in the region. Wilton Corkern, WRAG board member and trustee of the Corina Higginson Trust, wrote a letter to the editor that prompted us to rethink community service as a means of punishment for offenders. (WRAG, 1/26, WaPo, 1/25, WaPo, 1/8)

THIS WEEK IN THE DISTRICT
You need to make $108,092 a year to live comfortably in D.C., report says (WaPo, 1/29)

THIS WEEK IN YOUTH
– A recent national study from Brown University finds growing disparities in access to after school programs, leaving low-income students further behind. (Atlantic, 1/30)

WRAG EVENTS NEXT WEEK
Arts & Humanities Working Group: Advancing Diversity & Racial Equity in the Region’s Cultural Sector (Arts funders only)
Wednesday, February 4, 2015  10:00AM – 12:00PM

Kind of like the Super Bowl, but much, much cuter.