February 9, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

A new policy brief on improving workforce development in the District

DISTRICT/ECONOMY
Today, a new policy brief outlining plans to improve workforce development in the District titled, “Charting the Course: An Opportunity to Improve Workforce Development in D.C.,” has been released. The brief was developed as a joint project by the Coalition for Nonprofit Housing and Economic Development, DC Appleseed, the DC Employment Justice Center, the DC Fiscal Policy Institute, the DC Jobs Council, Greater Washington Research at Brookings, the Greater Washington Workforce Development Collaborative of The Community Foundation for the National Capital Region, and Local Initiatives Support Corporation. (CFNCR, 2/9)

More than 60,000 D.C. residents are essentially locked out of the city’s economy because they lack a high school diploma or its equivalent, and need to significantly increase their education, skills, and credentials in order to progress to the goal of a family-supporting job. A successful economic development strategy must incorporate a strong workforce development plan to bring these residents into the District’s economy as full and successful participants.

Investing strategically in these residents will have multiple benefits: the residents will be able to become more productive and acquire more valuable skills; businesses will have access to a greater local talent pool, and the net effect on the District economy will be positive. Research shows that these investments not only yield significant improvements in employment, earnings, and contribution to the tax base, but also pay dividends in reductions in homelessness and dependence on public assistance and in improved health of workers and their families and children’s educational success.

Click here to access the full policy brief.

– Portland is the only city gentrifying faster than D.C., report says (WaPo, 2/5)

LGBT | Funders for LGBT Issues has released a new report and infographic highlighting U.S. foundation funding for trans communities between 2011 and 2013. The report includes some recommendations for funders dedicated to strengthening trans communities. (LGBT Funders, 2/2015)

– In Fairfax County, school leaders cautiously weigh the option of helping to bring about the county’s first charter school. (WaPo, 2/8)

District embarks on plan to bring more quality teachers to poor schools (WaPo, 2/6)

FOOD | A new pocket resource available for download – The Ward 7 Community Food Guide – highlights the location of healthy corner stores, free meals, special programs for seniors and the homebound, farmers markets, and more. Information about obtaining multiple copies can be found here. Stay tuned for a comparable guide for Ward 8.

HEALTH/AGING | As a new film puts the spotlight on early-onset Alzheimer’s disease, executive director of Iona Senior Services, Sally S. White, sheds light on some of the resources in our region that are helping those who have been diagnosed, and other ways to show support to loved ones. (CFNCR, 2/4)

Is binge-watching an entire television series in one weekend unhealthy or perfectly normal