February 10, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

House to vote on America Gives More Act of 2015 this week

The Council on Foundations brings attention to an upcoming House vote, scheduled for this Thursday, in which members will vote on the America Gives More Act of 2015. If passed, the series of bills may work to increase the flow of funds to charities (COF, 2/9):

These bills include:

• H.R. 637, “To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to make permanent the rule allowing certain tax-free distributions from individual retirement accounts for charitable purposes.”
  • H.R. 640, “To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to modify the tax rate for excise tax on investment income of private foundations.”
  • H.R. 644, “To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to permanently extend and expand the charitable deduction for contributions of food inventory.”
  • H.R. 641, “Conservation Easement Incentive Act of 2015.”

These provisions have been packaged into one bill, the America Gives More Act of 2015, and a floor vote in the House has been scheduled for this Thursday.

EQUITY | Consumer Health Foundation president and WRAG board member Yanique Redwood thoughtfully weighs in on one of America’s latest divisive debates – #blacklivesmatter versus #alllivesmatter. (CHF, 2/9)

COMMUNITY | DC Trust is celebrating Black History Month by partnering with CBS Radio to deliver the stories and thoughts of young D.C. residents that have been inspired by African American leaders. You can also join in on the conversation on Twitter by using the hashtag, #WeHoldTheseTruths.

AFFORDABLE HOUSING
– A soon-to-be-released report from Capital One and New York University finds that that the District is one of five cities with a more than 20 percent rental population growth from 2006 to 2013. The study also finds that low-income households can afford no more than 11 percent of the available units in the city. (WBJ, 2/9)

Forgotten Lessons From a 1970’s Fight Against Gentrification (CityLab, 2/9)

EDUCATION | D.C. Public School’s recently-announced plans to open an all-boys school addressing achievement disparities among black and Hispanic students is being called into question as to whether or not the school would violate Title IX. (WaPo, 2/9)

VIRGINIA | A bill requiring absentee voters to submit a copy of their photo ID has passed through Virginia’s House of Delegates. Opponents fear the bill is a way to suppress the votes of the elderly and the poor in elections. (WaPo, 2/9)

TRANSIT | 5 Maps You Need to See if You Use Public Transit in D.C. (DC Inno, 2/9)

WORKFORCE | In states like Connecticut and Nevada, a program that assists the long-term unemployed is helping to get people back to work. The program, Platform to Employment, is spreading to other states through federal and private funding. (Atlantic, 2/10)

There’s no doubt that high-end luxury brands can influence consumption. What if they could influence us to eat healthy, too