February 11, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

At-risk DCPS students receiving varied amounts of funding

A data tool developed by the D.C. Fiscal Policy Institute and Code for DC reveals wide gaps in spending for at-risk students in the District – students who are in foster care, homeless, receiving welfare or food stamps, or at least one year behind in high school. Despite the D.C. Council passing legislation ensuring funding would be distributed equally among at-risk students, DCPS did not have time this year to comply (GGW, 2/10):

Mann Elementary in Ward 3, for example, spent over $15,000 on each of its at-risk students. That’s partly because there are only two such students there, making up just 1% of the school’s total enrollment, according to the data tool.

By contrast, Ballou High School in Ward 8 spent only about $5,000 on each of its 470 at-risk students, which represent 72% of the school population. And Beers Elementary in Ward 7 spent a mere $168 on each of its 259 at-risk students, 60% of its enrollment.

WRAG | Yesterday, WRAG had the pleasure of hosting Mayor Muriel Bowser and a number of local funders for a special conversation on issues of importance to the region’s philanthropic community. WRAG president Tamara Copeland reflects on the Mayor’s remarks in this new post. (Daily WRAG, 2/11)

COMMUNITY | Mike Harreld, regional president of PNC Bank for the Greater Washington Area, has joined the Meyer Foundation‘s board of directors for a three-year term. Harreld also serves on the board of the United Way of the National Capital Area, the Federal City Council, Fight for Children, and the Economic Club of Washington, D.C. (WBJ, 2/10)

Related: Mike Harreld will again join the Institute for CSR as a guest speaker for the session focused on Sustainability & Ethical Behavior of Corporations.

HOUSING | For the first time in two years, Fairfax County will disburse federal housing choice vouchers to 280 of the 831 individuals and families that were wait-listed. Due to federal sequestration cuts, funding for housing programs had been unavailable since 2013. (WaPo, 2/10)

HOUSING/EQUITY | Opinion: As many homeowners in Prince George’s County are facing the reality of living in an area with the highest foreclosure rates in the region, questions arise about how to rebuild equity in a once-thriving market. (WaPo, 2/11)

WORKFORCE/YOUTH | D.C. mayor to expand summer jobs program up to age 24 (WaPo, 2/10)

DISTRICT | D.C.’s Population Growth Is Slowing. This Is Who’s Coming and Going. (WCP, 2/10)

REMINDER FOR WRAG MEMBERS | Learn how to Get on the Map tomorrow at 2pm with a short webinar (register here). This webinar will be repeated on March 12 and April 9. Learn more about the Get on the Map campaign to improve the quality, timeliness, and availability of grant data for and about WRAG members here.

Ever had one of your social media accounts send out spam on your behalf? Sometimes it happens…even if you work there.