February 19, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Disparities follow many into retirement

AGING/POVERTY/EQUITY
We hear a lot of talk about racial wealth disparities among America’s current workforce, but another, less-buzzed about piece of the puzzle is the racial retirement savings gap that is leaving many aging Americans without a safety net. (WaPo, 2/18)

White families had over $100,000 more in average liquid retirement savings in 2013 than African American and Hispanic families, according to an analysis done by the Urban Institute, which released a series of charts illustrating wealth inequality in America. That difference has quadrupled since 1989, when white families had $25,000 more in average retirement savings than minorities.

In terms of ratios, white families went from having five times the average savings held by minorities, to having between seven and 11 times the average amount.

CSR | Rachel Tappis, associate director of community impact at The Advisory Board Company and current Institute of CSR participant, shares why she is already excited for session two in March! (Daily, 2/19)

HOMELESSNESS | Opinion: The New York Times feature, “Room for Debate,” examines multiple approaches to tackling the issue of homelessness through the eyes of leaders and researchers in the field. Here, you can read the perspectives of each debater on how best to approach homeless services. (NYT, 2/19)

More cities have adopted a homeless policy which might seem like common sense – give homeless people housing. Proponents say it saves money over time and is more humane. Opponents call it a naive approach to a complicated problem, which also costs too much.

Is giving homeless people homes more effective and sensible than making them stay in shelters or on the street?

– The Montgomery County Planning Board unanimously voted to bring a 21-unit transitional housing project to Silver Spring, MD. (Gazette, 2/19)

LGBT
– The District’s Office of GLBT Affairs (newly retitled as the Office of LGBT Affairs), the D.C. Department of Health, along with the help of a private research organization, are joining forces to conduct a comprehensive health survey that seeks to inform health advocacy initiatives geared toward the LBGT community. For the first time, data will also be collected on transgender individuals. (Daily, 1/23 and Washington Blade, 2/18)

Why LGBTQ Seniors Need a Housing Strategy of Their Own (CityLab, 2/18)

– The end of third grade is an integral benchmark for future student success in math and reading. For that reason, the Annie E. Casey Foundation and DC Action for Children’s DC KIDS COUNT project takes a look at the District’s neighborhoods where third graders made the largest gains in reading between 2007 and 2014, and the areas that saw the largest decline. (WCP, 2/19)

– Nation’s high school graduation rate ticks up for second year in a row (WaPo, 2/12) You can also see the 2012 graduation rates for the region.

PHILANTHROPY/NONPROFITS | Grantmakers for Effective Organizations has released their new digital publication, Strengthening Nonprofit Capacity, with guidance for funders on how to design an impactful approach customized to their grantees. (GEO, 2/5)

The Academy Awards are coming up! Someone has sifted through each of this year’s nominations to find out what’s worth watching so you don’t have to. Or maybe you should just watch them all. It’ll be far too cold to go outside anytime soon anyway!