February 25, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Reports differ on the forecast for giving through 2016

A newly released study predicts a nearly 5% increase in giving for 2015 and 2016. The study differs greatly, however, from another report offering a much bleaker outlook. (Chronicle, 2/24)

Gifts from individuals, corporations, estates, and foundations are all expected to increase, according to the Philanthropy Outlook, a set of projections made by researchers at Indiana University’s Lilly Family School of Philanthropy and Marts & Lundy, a philanthropy consulting firm.

[…]

The projected growth, which is adjusted for expected inflation, is higher than the 3.1 percent average annual rate of growth in the years since the recession tabulated by “Giving USA” study, which is produced by the Lilly School and the Giving USA Foundation. That annual report uses tax filings and other data to estimate how much Americans gave in previous years.

[…]

Another report, by The Atlas of Giving, offers a far different forecast. It expects giving to decline 3.2 percent in 2015, largely because of an expected decline in the stock markets and a possible increase in interest rates.

ARTS/EQUITY | As the country, and our region, changes demographically, there is a need to ensure that everyone has opportunities to experience and participate in the arts, and reap the benefits of that engagement. Advancing diversity and equity in the region’s cultural sector is a topic of growing interest among local arts funders, which WRAG’s Rebekah Seder examines in today’s Daily. (Dailly, 2/25)

YOUTH/HEALTH
– A comprehensive new study and chart take a look at the prevalence of the obesity epidemic in adolescents and adults around the world. Though American youth are less likely to be overweight than they were just a few years ago, they are still much more likely to be overweight compared with children in other countries. (WaPo, 2/24)

– A company with local ties put together sample lunches for school children across the globe for a photo series illuminating how they eat. The images show just how far U.S. school lunches still need to go to provide a balanced, nutritious meal. (Fast Company, 2/23)

A school-based suicide prevention program called Sources of Strength has many hailing it as one of few programs that have been shown to work as backed by research. The effort is currently in more than 250 schools and community centers in 20 states, including parts of our region. (NPR, 2/25)

DISTRICT/EDUCATION
– On the 20th anniversary of their high school graduation, a new documentary about 67 public school students from Southeast D.C., promised scholarships for higher education through the I Have a Dream Foundation, chronicles the obstacles and successes they have faced since then. (City Lab, 2/24)

D.C. Defends Plan for School That Would Serve Only Minority Boys (WAMU, 2/24)

TRANSIT 
– Montgomery County Executive Isiah Leggett spoke on why he feels the Purple Line should be the top priority for continued economic development in the area. (WBJ, 2/24)

MoCo to WMATA: Don’t raise fares or cut service (WTOP, 2/24)

What does Niagara Falls look like when it’s “frozen?”