February 26, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Twenty-five years later, the racial wealth gap persists

ECONOMY/EQUITY
A new report from a group of economists provides evidence that the startling racial wealth gap that was apparent 25 years ago has changed very little for historically disadvantaged groups (WSJ, 2/26):

Twenty-five years ago there was a glaring wealth gap in the U.S. between blacks and Hispanics on one hand, and whites on the other. Little has changed, a new report shows.

White families are still more than twice as likely as Hispanic and black families to have wealth—assets minus liabilities—above the median U.S. level, according to a report by economists William Emmons, Bryan Noeth and Ray Boshara at the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.

[…]

The St. Louis Fed researchers said it’s not differences in age or education levels that explain the racial and ethnic wealth disparities; these persist even if you’re looking at older and better-educated blacks, Hispanics and whites.

–  Women need time off from work but often get it the least (WaPo, 2/25)

CSR
– In 2013, WRAG launched the Institute for Corporate Social Responsibility in partnership with Johns Hopkins University for professional CSR practitioners. But how can aspiring CSR professionals, business students, fundraising consultants, and nonprofit leaders learn more about the field? Director of corporate strategy, Katy Moore, announces WRAG’s exciting new offering – the Fundamentals of CSR workshop. (Daily, 2/26)

– Tim McClimon, president of the American Express Foundation and lead faculty member for the Institute for CSR, offers his thoughtful advice on breaking into the world of corporate social responsiblity. (American Express, 2/23)

HOMELESSNESS/DISTRICT | Nearly five years after taking over daily operations at the D.C. General homeless shelter, Washington City Paper dives into the current state of operations at the family facility. (WCP, 2/25)

CRIMINAL JUSTICE
–  In Maryland, advocates, inmates, and officials struggle to find common ground on the differences between what makes a life sentence and a death sentence. (WaPo, 2/25)

–  Opinion: A national cry for criminal justice reform (WaPo, 2/24)

– Victims of sex trafficking often find it difficult to move on with their lives with a criminal conviction on their record. Some states, however, have little-known laws that make having a chance at a new life a possibility. (NPR, 2/24)

DIVERSITY | The National Audubon Society recently underwent a study to identify opportunities to build and maintain a more diverse staff, in order to better engage and serve diverse communities. The five practices identified are relevant to nonprofit organizations across issue areas. (Bridgespan, 2/23) Thanks to Julia Baer-Cooper for passing this one along.

This is what happens when it snows down south.