February 27, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Friday roundup – Feb. 23 through Feb. 27, 2015

THIS WEEK IN THE REGION/POVERTY/EDUCATION
A new study from the University of Virginia’s Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service – analyzing demographic changes in 66 cities between 1990 and 2012 – shows that city centers continue to become more affluent as inner suburbs continue to see a rise in poverty rates. The shift in demographics has some local school districts contemplating how best to accommodate the growing diversity of their students. (WaPo, 2/26)

In 1990, the poverty rate was highest in the center of the District, and it fell as you traveled farther into the suburbs. In 2012, however, poverty was lower in the city center but spiked in the inner suburbs, four to five miles out, before dropping again in the outer suburbs and exurbs.

That change means that the number of low-income children are rising in traditionally affluent and high-performing school systems. Schools in Montgomery County, which has a reputation as a tony suburb of the nation’s capital, have seen the rate of students eligible for free and reduced-price meals — a rough proxy for poverty — rise from 29 to 35 percent just since 2009. Across the Potomac River in Northern Virginia, the share of students receiving free and reduced-price meals in Fairfax County Public Schools has risen from 19 percent in 2005 to 28 percent this year.

THIS WEEK IN PHILANTHROPY
– WRAG president Tamara Copeland told us about the Get on the Map campaign, and why WRAG members should share their data to help strengthen philanthropy in our region. (Daily, 2/23)

– We also learned about some future projections for giving for 2015 and 2016. (Chronicle, 2/24)

THIS WEEK AT WRAG
– Director of Corporate Strategy, Katy Moore, announced some exciting new offerings from WRAG – a Foundation Finance Affinity Group and the Fundamentals of CSR workshop. (Daily, 2/24 and 2/26)

THIS WEEK IN HOMELESSNESS
– We were able to get a revealing look at homelessness in the region through this multi-part series that includes the stories of people looking to make the issue a top priority. (WAMU, 2/20)

THIS WEEK IN AFFORDABLE HOUSING
– The Urban Land Institute and the Center for Housing Policy at the National Housing Conference released a report titled, “Public Land & Affordable Housing in the Washington, DC Region,” offering best practices and recommendations for meeting the housing needs of lower-income residents. (ULI, 2/2015)

THIS WEEK IN ARTS/EQUITY
– Rebekah Seder, senior program manager at WRAG, discussed a growing interest for many local arts funders – how to advance diversity and equity in the region’s cultural sector. (Dailly, 2/25)

WRAG EVENTS NEXT WEEK

Northern Virginia LEG: The Art of Successful Site Visits (Foundation donors, trustees, and staff; individual donors; donor advised fund holders; members of giving circles)
Thursday, March 5, 2015  10:00 AM – 12:00 PM

Nope…I won’t spend another second thinking about this dress. Here’s something much more productive – a quiz about which foreign language you should learn next. Auf Wiedersehen!