March 3, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

New report on leadership development in philanthropy

The National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy has released their latest report in the “Smashing Silos in Philanthropy” series titled, “Cultivating Nonprofit Leadership: A Missed(?) Philanthropic Opportunity.” The report examines the current state of leadership development and its continued underinvestment within the philanthropic sector. (NCRP, 3/2)

From 2003-2012, the country’s top foundations dedicated only 0.8 percent of total grants to nonprofit leadership development. And yet, as shown by recent historic progress around immigration, criminal justice and other social justice movements, we need leaders who are strong, skilled and connected to successfully realize positive, social change.

– The Meyer Foundation’s Rick Moyers explains how WRAG’s Foundation Maps tool will help Meyer do their work more strategically, and why he hopes that his colleagues will “get on the map” by reporting their own grants data. (Daily, 3/3):

As the Meyer Foundation has been going through a strategic planning process over the past few months, we’ve become painfully aware that comprehensive information about grantmaking in our region is neither as readily available nor as timely as we need it to be.

That’s why I was thrilled (I am being literal, not hyperbolic) last month when the Washington Regional Association of Grantmakers announced a new partnership with the Foundation Center to create a new searchable mapping platform that will be available to help WRAG members better understand foundation and corporate giving in the region.

[…]

From past experience, I know that when I reach out to funding colleagues for information and insights, you are always open and responsive. In that spirit of collaboration, I hope you will Get on the Map. We need this tool to better understand our own work, to work together more effectively, and to demonstrate our impact to our partners in business and government. We need to put philanthropy on the map, and we need the help of every WRAG member to do it.

– Jean Case of the Case Foundation offers up her list of five things you may not know about philanthropy. (HuffPo, 3/2)

FOOD | D.C. Central Kitchen has been working to put more produce in corner stores in low-income neighborhoods. With 67 Healthy Corners in the city, the program continues to grow on residents. (Atlantic, 3/2)

AFFORDABLE HOUSING | In their continuing Matters@Hand thought-leadership series sponsored by Enterprise Community Partners, HAND discusses innovative ways to bring affordable housing to high-cost markets and cites examples from around the country. (Helping Hands Blog, 3/2)

EVENTS | On Friday, March 20th at 9:00 AM, the Center for Public & Nonprofit Leadership will hold a discussion titled, DC & The War on Poverty: Then, Now & the Future. Speakers at the event will include, Nicky Goren of the Meyer Foundation, Alice Rivlin of Georgetown University, James Gibson of the Center for the Study of Social Policy, Maria Gomez of Mary’s Center for Maternal and Child Care, Maurice Jackson of Georgetown University, George Jones of Bread for the City, and Ed Lazere of the DC Fiscal Policy Institute. Click here to register.

ANACOSTIA RIVER | The ever-popular National Cherry Blossom Festival will move this year’s finale east-of-the-river, in an effort to highlight the planned 11th Street Bridge project over the Anacostia River and the Anacostia Park. (WBJ, 3/2)

Related: On Thursday, March 19 at 10:30 AM, WRAG members and invited guests will gather to take a look at the challenges and opportunities of a cleaner Anacostia River. Eligible attendees interested in the environmental health of the watershed or the economic health of the communities along the riverbank can share their thoughts on how philanthropy can continue to catalyze the transformation of the Anacostia.

HOMELESSNESS | The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has announced awards of $150 million in rental assistance to 25 State Housing Agencies, including in D.C. and Maryland, in an effort to prevent thousands of extremely low-income individuals with disabilities from falling into homelessness or unnecessary institutionalization.  (HUD, 5/2)

EDUCATION | A recent survey of high-performing, low-income students who received interventions – such as information on net tuition, deadline reminders, and application fee waivers – as they set out to apply for college, were more likely to actually submit applications and enroll in college than students who had received nothing. (NPR, 3/2)

CHERRY BLOSSOMS!!!!!

-Ciara