March 17, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

A five-year plan to end homelessness in the District

HOMELESSNESS/DISTRICT
Mayor Bowser announced plans yesterday to end chronic homelessness in the District within the next five years. The plan is currently circulating among advocates for the homeless, and will then need to go through a task force and the D.C. Council for approval. (WaPo, 3/16)

The plan calls for replacing the city’s dilapidated family homeless shelter at the former D.C. General Hospital campus, leasing and building smaller shelters, and slashing the time that any family or individual spends in a shelter by swiftly moving thousands into apartments — often with long-term, taxpayer-funded subsidies.

[…]

“It’s not a hard-line date in the sand,” one Bowser administration official said. “We need to make sure we’re seeing all of the changes that we need to see in the system to be able to close it.”

Indeed, the Bowser plan rests on managing a massive overhaul of virtually all District homeless services. The city is housing more than 750 homeless families, but the mayor’s plan calls for having enough shelter space for only 215 families by 2020.

CORPORATE PHILANTHROPY/WRAG | WRAG philanthropy fellow Shira Broms recounts the year’s first Corporate Philanthropy Affinity Group that took place last week, and provides highlights from each panelist. (Daily, 3/17)

COMMUNITY/JOBS | Wells Fargo is hiring a Community Support Representative for the Mid-Atlantic Community Affairs team. You can check out the position description here, and be sure to share!

ECONOMY/EQUITY
– A new study reports a link between the growth of African American-owned businesses and a decrease in black youth violence between the years 1990 – 2000. The study used data from more than 100 large cities across the U.S. (City Lab, 3/16)

Can Treating Low-Wage Workers Well Become the Hot New Business Strategy? (Fast Company, 3/16)

– According to new data from the Office for the State Superintendent of Education, last year’s graduation rates for DCPS increased to 58 percent, while falling to 69 percent for the District’s public charter schools. (WaPo, 3/17)

The District-wide average for the Class of 2014 — 61 percent — was almost unchanged from the year before. The city’s graduation rate remains far below the national average of 81 percent.

D.C. Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson in an interview Monday said she was pleased, but “not thrilled,” by the incremental growth — cumulatively five points in four years. “Still too few of our young people are graduating,” she said.

High school graduation rates for minority students improve faster than rest of U.S. (WaPo, 3/16)

ENVIRONMENT |  Chesapeake Bay Program Wants Your Input Into Plans to Protect Watershed (WAMU, 3/17)

Take a look at a cool time-lapse video of the Chicago River going green.