March 18, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

A regional approach to end homelessness

HOMELESSNESS
In a landmark agreement, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser, Prince George’s County Executive Rushern Baker III, and Montgomery County Executive Isiah Leggett, signed a joint charter to end homelessness in the Washington region. A strategic plan will be aimed at the estimated 12,000 individuals and families in the area who often cross jurisdictions in search of assistance and shelter. (WaPo, 3/17)

The three area officials believe that their jurisdictions can be more effective by sharing casework information and tracking homeless people with more cohesion. Another goal is sharing more information about available housing and employment opportunities.

[…]

Although homelessness decreased by almost 4 percent nationally between 2012 and 2013, it increased by 3.5 percent during that period in the Washington region.

WRAG vice president and Affordable Housing Action Team member Gretchen Greiner-Lott,  had this to say of the agreement:

“The Charter to End Homelessness that was signed at yesterday’s regional summit on homelessness states, “we can effectively end homelessness by regional collaboration.” In fact, regional collaboration needs to be an integral part of any effort to combat issues that plague our region. That’s why I am pleased that the Affordable Housing Action Team is working on a regional level, and I look forward to working with the new regional coordinating council on homelessness as they have identified affordable housing as one of four “integrally linked contributing factors to eliminating homelessness.”

FOOD | In the follow-up to her post on a recent gathering of food advocates in D.C. to discuss ways to protect federal nutrition programs of local significance, Washington Regional Food Funders consultant Lindsay Smith discusses how funders can support emergency food service providers in the region and why that need is so urgent. (Daily, 3/10 and 3/18)

RACIAL EQUITY/PHILANTHROPY | Lisa Ranghelli of the National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy explains why foundations serving traditionally marginalized communities should put an explicit focus on equity. (NPQ, 3/17)

DISTRICT | Bowser Defies Predecessor, Backs Budget Autonomy (DCist, 3/17)

AFFORDABLE HOUSING | Opinion: A writer takes a hard look at the liberal approach many cities have taken to address affordable housing and gentrification. (The Week, 3/17)

EDUCATION | The D.C. Office of Revenue Analysis has released some graphics showing a school-by-school breakdown of DCPS high school graduation rates. (GGW, 3/18)

ECONOMY | The most unequal cities in the United States (WaPo, 3/17)

CORRECTION | Yesterday’s guest post on the Daily included a link to panelist highlights from the Corporate Philanthropy Affinity Group’s first meeting of the year. Tobi Printz-Platnick of The Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation spoke on education and mentioned the ways in which companies may consider working with schools through intermediary organizations, such as the New Schools Venture Fund and the Early Care & Education Funders Collaborative (ECEFC), established by the Washington Area Women’s Foundation. The Boeing Company and PNC are among key partners in the efforts of the ECEFC. This information has now been accurately reflected in the summary from this exciting gathering.

In this debate, thought leaders ponder…who should replace Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill