March 26, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Arlington wrestles with an effective affordable housing strategy

AFFORDABLE HOUSING
As Arlington County grapples with its budget and affordable housing strategy, one of the toughest questions remains: How should the county best target its affordable housing dollars? (Inside NoVa, 3/24)

Still an open question, one to be worked out by the community, is where housing dollars should be placed. Should they go to those with very low incomes, or be targeted at those higher on the economic spectrum?

The choice boils down to picking among four segments of the community:

• Those earning up to 30 percent of the area median income (which equates to no more than $23,000 for a single person, $32,000 for a family of four).

• Those earning 30 to 60 percent of area median income (up to $46,000 for singles and $66,000 for families).

• Those earning 60 percent to 80 percent of area median income (up to $61,000 for singles and $87,000 for families).

• Those earning 80 percent to 100 percent of area median income (up to $77,000 for singles and $109,000 for families).

PHILANTHROPY/COMMUNITY | In her latest post, WRAG president Tamara Copeland offers a look at how we’re working to grow philanthropy throughout the region. (Daily, 3/26)

HEALTH/HIV/AIDS | Report: D.C. Has One Of The Highest STD Rates in the Country (DCist, 3/25)

– D.C. Fiscal Policy Institute has released a new resource guide exploring how public education is funded in the District. (DCFPI, 3/26)

– This past winter was pretty brutal at times, leaving a number of school closures in its path. As many school districts in the region debate how to make up for the lost time, a Harvard researcher has come up with some graphs that show that the impact of individual absences is worse than school closures on student progress. (WaPo, 3/26)

WORKFORCE/ECONOMY | The Feedback Loop That Will Make America’s Richest Cities Even Richer (Atlantic, 3/26)

How good are you at making (and keeping) good habits? Take this quiz to discover your “habit personality”….if you’re a “rebel” or a “questioner” though, you may not want to.