April 3, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Friday roundup – March 30 through April 3, 2015

THIS WEEK IN PHILANTHROPY
– WRAG president Tamara Copeland shared how a regional call to action for business and government leaders came to include the funding community. (Daily, 4/2)

– WRAG announced an upcoming conference on the needs of Loudoun County. The Loudoun County Philanthropy Conference will take place on Thursday, May 14 and is sponsored by the Claude Moore Charitable Foundation, the Community Foundation for the National Capital Region, and the Middleburg Community Center. (Daily, 4/1)

– The Community Foundation for Northern Virginia‘s Eileen Ellsworth and Jen McCollum shared why they’re excited to “get on the map” and use the interactive tool that allows them to share their grants data with colleagues. (Daily, 3/30)

– The Community Foundation for Prince George’s County is inviting the funding community to visit nonprofit organizations that are moving Prince George’s County forward through safety-net, education and workforce development services. Guests will spend approximately one hour touring facilities, observing programs in action, and conversing with the organization’s leadership team. Those interested in going on a site visit should email Alicia Barrett at abarrett@cfncr.org to register at least one week in advance.

THIS WEEK IN THE DISTRICT
– D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser got things in full swing this week. After a little bit of March Madness, Bowser delivered her State of the District address outlining plans to create “pathways to the middle class,” and later released her proposed budget for Fiscal Year 2016. (WCP, 3/10, WaPo, 3/31, DCist, 4/2)

THIS WEEK IN THE REGION
– Some residents and party leaders in Fairfax County are concerned with the lack of diversity among candidates for public office, as demographics there have seen quite a shift in the last 15 years. (WaPo, 3/29)

THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION
– Prince George’s officials shared their 2020 Strategic Plan for the school system with five main areas for improvement – academics, workforce development, safe and modernized facilities, community engagement, and organizational effectiveness. (Gazette, 4/2)

– Attorney General Karl Racine approved the plan for an all-boys school for minority students east of the Anacostia as part of the “Empowering Males of Color” initiative. (WCP, 3/30)

WRAG EVENTS NEXT WEEK
Healthy Communities Working Group: A Conversation with Dr. LaQuandra Nesbitt, Director, D.C. Department of Health (WRAG members)
Monday, April 6, 2015  12:00 PM – 2:00 PM

Get on the Map: A How-To Webinar 
Thursday, April 9, 2015  2:00 PM – 2:45 PM

Take a look at this year’s best Peeps dioramas!