April 8, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Opinions vary greatly in survey of District residents

DISTRICT
Results from the Talking Transition DC survey, a grassroots initiative sponsored by Open Society Foundations, conducted by DC Vote, DC Working Families, National Institute for Civil Discourse, and the Urban Institute, with support by HR&A Advisors, were released this week. The project gathered opinions from thousands of District residents on a number of topics, and found some big differences in a few areas (DCist, 4/7):

Across all eight wards, most D.C. residents seem to agree: our city’s housing is unaffordable, access to healthcare is decent, and Internet access is pretty good.

But opinions about police-community relations, public safety, and job availability resulted in a stark divide – with Wards 7 and 8 responding far more negatively than other parts of the city, according to a newly released survey by the Talking Transition DC initiative.

HOMELESSNESS | D.C. Sheltered Homeless Families in Maryland Hotels As Winter Crisis Worsened (WCP, 4/7)

EVENTS | Is your nonprofit or business prepared for a hurricane, flood, fire, or other emergency? Join United Way of the National Capital Area and American Red Cross in the National Capital Region for a public community preparedness forum on Wednesday, April 22, at 7:30 AM at George Mason University – Arlington, VA campus. The purpose of this event is to raise awareness and collaboration among D.C., Maryland, and Virginia nonprofit and business stakeholders to prepare for and respond to natural and man-made disasters. Click here to learn more and to register for the training.

AFFORDABLE HOUSING | At a recent meeting, democratic candidates for Arlington County Board weighed in on solutions for affordable housing in the area. Here’s a recap of some of the priorities each candidate presented. (ARLNow, 4/7)

PHILANTHROPY | Opinion: The business world’s urgent response to the controversial Religious Freedom Restoration Act passed in Indiana may provide some important lessons for the world of philanthropy. (Chronicle, 4/7)

Not in the mood to brave the crowds to view the cherry blossoms this year? You can look at them on these 24-hour web cams instead.