May 5, 2015 / Rebekah Seder, Editor

Martha’s Table to move east as neighborhood changes

NONPROFITS | In 2016 Martha’s Table will break ground on a new headquarters in Southeast D.C. The organization will continue to provide a few programs at its current 14th Street NW location, in a neighborhood that has changed dramatically since the nonprofit opened, but is moving most of its operations east of the river to be closer to the communities that need their services:

Now few of the families who come to 14th Street to pick up bags of groceries or drop off pre-school students live nearby. They come, often by bus, from neighborhoods where the average rent is far lower than $2,400 a month, which is the price of a one-bedroom at the Bentley, a new building on 14th featuring a private pet grooming salon. There’s still a liquor store nearby, but this one sells $55 bottles of craft rye whiskey.

Washington’s shifting demographics mean that many nonprofits’ clients have been moving to other parts of the city. The inevitable question: Should the charities follow them?

The land for the new building was donated by the Horning Family Fund, which provided $10 million toward construction. (WaPo, 5/5)

HEALTH | A new report from Save the Children finds that babies born in Ward 8 are 10 times more likely to die in infancy than those born in Ward 3.  In a measure of infant mortality worldwide, it ranks Washington, D.C. last among 25 world capitals. (WaPo, 5/4)

VIRGINIA | Is Virginia Putting Too Many People Behind Bars? (WAMU, 5/3)

DISTRICT | 4 ways Bowser wants to connect underserved with innovation economy (WBJ, 5/4)

ARTS | Slimmed down vision for Dupont Underground to open in July (WaPo, 5/1)

EVENT | On May 28th, the England Family Foundation is hosting a donor briefing on the 11th Street Bridge Park. Founding Director Scott Kratz will explain the vision for this new civic space that will connect the Capitol Hill and Anacostia neighborhoods and be designed to support the community’s environmental, physical, cultural and economic health. The briefing will be held at the Anacostia Arts Center from 9:30am – 11:15am followed by a walking tour of the site. Contact Julia Baer-Cooper for details and to RSVP.

Imagine a brand new mode of transit featuring “bold, contemporary styling,” a “polished metal exterior,” and “floors fully carpeted with thick, wool pile in decorator desert sunset colors”!

– Rebekah