May 6, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

D.C. Council approves expanded summer jobs program

YOUTH/DISTRICT
The D.C. Council reluctantly approved Mayor Bowser’s plans to expand the D.C. Summer Youth Employment Program. This comes amid some differing ideas in the Council as to how the program should be shaped (WaPo, 5/5):

The Council approved Bowser’s request to expand the District’s Summer Youth Employment Program. But along the way, the debate exposed deeper fault lines over the program’s effectiveness as well as the larger question of how best to deal with the high levels of poverty and unemployment that affect the predominantly black communities living in the city’s poorest wards.

The jobs program has been among the city’s most popular initiatives among disadvantaged families. After [Mayor] Barry’s death last year, many of the thousands who turned out to remember him credited the program with helping them start their careers.

But for some D.C. politicians, the program has remained a yearly headache, with questions about the management, effectiveness and ever-growing cost.

On Tuesday, Bowser’s plan to expand the program — including offering jobs to residents up to 24 years old, from the current cap of 22 — became a new flash point in a budget battle between Bowser and the Council, including whether the city should increase the sales tax to fund her initiatives.

DC schools may be too quick to expel and suspend students (GGW, 5/5)

– Managing Director at Prince Charitable Trusts, Kristin Pauly, shares why they are thrilled about “getting on the map” and sharing their grants data with colleagues. (Daily, 5/6)

Foundation Source has introduced a new podcast series aimed at providing the philanthropic community with advice and insights from experts and next generation philanthropists in the field. Click here to access the podcasts.

CSR | The U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation is now accepting nominations for its annual Corporate Citizenship Awards. Last year’s winners include WRAG members PNC and Capital One.  Be sure to get your nomination in by the May 29 deadline!

ECONOMY | What Does ‘Middle Class’ Even Mean? (Atlantic, 5/6)

TRANSIT/MARYLAND | A new report by Transportation for America examines the potential economic benefits of the proposed light rail systems in Maryland – the Purple Line in the suburbs surrounding D.C., and the Red Line in Baltimore. According to the study, though the costs of the projects would be very high, the expenses would be well worth it in the short- and long-term. (WAMU, 5/5)

Here’s a good reason to stay on the phone the next time you think someone is prank calling you.