May 8, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Friday roundup – May 4 through May 8, 2015

THIS WEEK AT WRAG
– In her latest column, WRAG’s president Tamara Copeland shared her thoughts on how good, secure jobs can translate to hope for individuals in communities, and can help prevent the unrest that has played out in cities like Baltimore. (Daily, 5/4)

– The summer 2015 class of Frank Karel Public Interest Communications Fellows was announced. This fellowship, fiscally sponsored by WRAG, places first-generation and minority undergraduate students at area nonprofit organizations to expose them to social change communications. (Daily 5/4)

THIS WEEK IN PHILANTHROPY
– Kristin Pauly, Managing Director at Prince Charitable Trusts, shared why they’re excited about “getting on the map” and sharing their grants data with colleagues. (Daily, 5/6)

The Community Foundation for Northern Virginia recently held their inaugural Chairman’s Breakfast, presented by their Board Chair (and WRAG’s Vice Chair), Lynn Tadlock. Boeing was recognized for being an Outstanding Community Partner in Northern Virginia. (CFNoVa, 5/7)

THIS WEEK IN THE ARTS
– We learned that plans for the Dupont Underground, set to open in July, may need to be pared down a bit due to funding. (WaPo, 5/1)

– We also learned how the upcoming closure of the Artisphere in Arlington County indicates much more about the way cultural institutions are often viewed as “extraneous.” (WCP, 5/7)

THIS WEEK IN NONPROFITS
– D.C. continues to change. That’s why, in an effort to continue to provide quality services and effectively reach those who need them the most, two major nonprofits in the city are making big moves. Martha’s Table will move most of its operations east of the river, while Whitman-Walker Health will soon unveil a new, more modern facility. (WaPo, 5/4 and (WaPo, 5/6)

WRAG EVENTS NEXT WEEK

Healthy Communities Working Group: May Meeting and Conversation with Pamela Creekmur, Prince George’s County Health Officer (WRAG members)
Monday, May 11 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM (At the Meyer Foundation)

Loudoun County Philanthropy Conference (WRAG members, non-member funders, nonprofits, government officials, community leaders, and anyone else interested in learning about the needs of the county)
Thursday, May 14  10:00 AM – 3:00 PM (Middleburg Community Center)

Get on the Map: A How-To Webinar
Thursday, May 14  2:00 PM – 2:45 PM

Ever wonder what songs there are about your favorite city? Check out this map