May 19, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Varied quality for D.C. preschool programs

EDUCATION/DISTRICT 
A new report released by the Office of the State Superintendent for Education finds a great deal of variation in the quality of preschool programs across the District. Looking at data from the 2013-2014 school year, preschool programs in the city did well overall in terms of promoting emotional and social development, but not so well at providing instructional support. (WaPo, 5/18)

On a scale of 1 to 7, [researchers] have found that “threshold” scores of five or more in emotional support and classroom organization, and scores of three or more in instructional support, are associated with better outcomes for children.

Average scores across D.C. surpassed the threshold for emotional support (which includes positive climate, teacher’s sensitivity and regard for students’ perspectives) and classroom organization (which includes behavior management and productivity.)

But scores fell below the threshold for instructional support, with an average score of 2.5. That category includes concept development, quality of feedback and language modeling.

DCPS’ Biggest Challenge, in One Chart (WCP, 5/18)

HEALTH 
– Arabella Advisors outlines some of the approaches that health funders can take to fulfill unmet needs  in the ever-changing world of healthcare. (Arabella Advisors, 5/18)

Rise in Suicide by Black Children Surprises Researchers (NYT, 5/18)

– Keep powering up that Fitbit! Among 50 of the largest American metropolitan areas, the Washington region ranks number one in a list of the fittest places for the second year in a row. (WTOP, 5/19)

WRAG/PHILANTHROPY | Last week, leaders of nonprofits, philanthropies, and more, came together for WRAG’s first Loudoun County Philanthropy Conference. Check out this recap and some of the key issues that were raised during the event. (Loudoun Times, 5/15)

AFFORDABLE HOUSING | Montgomery County planners recently released a draft of their Bethesda Downtown Plan, which makes recommendations for the area over the next 20 years. Among other things, plans include new park space and the preservation of affordable housing through the density-transfer process. (Bethesda Magazine, 5/15)

ENVIRONMENT | How Has Fairfax County’s Rapid Growth Affected the Environment (WAMU, 5/15)

TRANSPORTATION/POVERTY | A number of recent studies have emerged on the ways in which inadequate transportation can fuel growing inequality in American cities and their surrounding areas, making access to employment, decent schools, and healthy food difficult. Though new modes of public transit pop up every day, low-income residents who live in less than posh neighborhoods still find it hard to get around. (Atlantic, 5/16)

My name is Ciara, but if I was born this year, it would be Nayeli. Find out what your name would be if you were born in another year, based on name trends from the Social Security Administration.

-Ciara