May 20, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

D.C., Maryland come out strong in study of the best states for women

GENDER/REGION
The Institute for Women’s Policy Research (IWPR) recently released the last of a series of reports exploring the state of women across the United States. D.C. and Maryland emerged among the top places for women in a few different areas (WaPo, 5/20):

The best state for women to rise above poverty:
Women fighting to move out of poverty are better off in Maryland than their peers in any other state, according to IWPR’s analysis of poverty and economic opportunity. The report looked at the share of women who: live above the poverty line; own a business; have health insurance; and earned a bachelor’s degree.

The best state for employment and earnings:
The first report in the series examined how women fared in each state’s labor force, relying on a series of data to arrive at its conclusion: that women in Maryland are best off when it comes to employment and earnings.

Maryland and Massachusetts each earned a B+ on IWPR’s scorecard (The District of Columbia earned an A), though women are far from equal in either state. In Maryland, women earn 87.4 cents for every dollar earned by men, who are also 1.9 times more likely to work in high-paying Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) jobs.

Also worth noting, only 10 states and D.C. improved their scores for women’s health and well-being from 2004-2015.

Black women’s lives matter, too, say the women behind the iconic hashtag (WaPo, 5/19)

AFFORDABLE HOUSING | According to a new report from the National Low Income Housing Coalition, with support from J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., one needs to make $28.04 per hour to be able to afford rent on a two-bedroom apartment in the District. In D.C., the Fair Market Rent for a two-bedroom unit is currently at $1,458, excluding utilities. (DCist, 5/19)

– The Center for Effective Philanthropy has released their new report entitled. “Investing and Social Impact: Practices of Private Foundations.” The report analyzes responses from CEOs of large private foundations on their current state of operations. (CECP, 5/20)

– Taking a page out of the nonprofit playbook, corporations like Unilever, Starbucks and others have all recently implemented social impact strategies. Not to be confused with cause marking or corporate philanthropy, these strategies are concrete and measurable plans that have quantifiable business outcomes and definitive societal impacts. (Entrepreneur, 3/10)

RELATED: On June 3, WRAG’s Corporate Philanthropy Affinity Group is hosting “Shared Value: Exploring Opportunities to Simultaneously Increase Your Company’s Profitability and Social Impact.” Join fellow CSR professionals to learn how to put societal issues at the core of your company’s business strategy and operations.

– The Community Foundation for Northern Virginia’s giving circle of young professionals, the Future Fund, recently raised $40,000 to support 2016 grantmaking in Northern Virginia at their annual Future Fund Awards Gala. Two grant-winning organizations – Access Hope and Youth for Tomorrow – received grants of $20,000 to support individuals and families with limited access to mental health care. Find out more here.

ENVIRONMENT | A century of buried toxins in the Anacostia are coming to the surface (WaPo, 5/19)

HEALTH/MARYLAND | A new report shows that the state of Maryland had a significant increase in the number of fatal drug overdoses in 2014. Anne Arundel, Montgomery, and Prince George’s counties were among the areas with the highest rates of deaths caused by an overdose. (WaPo, 5/19)

EDUCATION | Poverty, family stress are thwarting student success, top teachers say (WaPo, 5/19)

Do you call it the Metro, WMATA, or the subway? Take this poll to see how other people in the region refer to some of the things we come across everyday.