May 28, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Increased spending for affordable housing and homelessness following D.C. Council vote

DISTRICT
The D.C. Council unanimously passed Mayor Bowser’s $13 million budget yesterday. As a result, major funding will go toward affordable housing and homelessness programs. Many of Bowser’s proposals remained intact, though some were slightly altered (WAMU, 5/27):

While the Council did strip out a proposed increase in the sales tax and cut funding for body-worn cameras for police, it largely left Bowser’s other initiatives — including close to $150 million in new spending for the homeless and affordable housing — intact, and in some cases even put more money towards them.

The approval of the budget drew applause from advocates for the homeless and for affordable housing, who said that the spending increases will help residents find — and stay in — homes in a city that has grown increasingly expensive in recent years.

Council, Bowser Win Big In Fight For Budget Autonomy (DCist, 5/27)

– According to data from the U.S. Census Bureau’s American Community Survey, incomes for District residents born in another state rose around 12 percent, while incomes for D.C.-born residents decreased around 16 percent in the period between 2006 and 2012. (GGW, 5/27)

– With the help of community groups and local nonprofits, the area presently known as Marvin Gaye Park has undergone extreme revitalization over the years that residents hope will continue on and spread to nearby areas. (WCP, 5/28)

YOUTH | DC Trust provides a glimpse into the lives of young men of color using the cultural safe-haven of a barbershop as the backdrop for their ShopTalk Storytelling Series. In this second installment, individuals discuss the ins and outs of D.C.’s juvenile justice system that so often affects the lives of young men of color in the city. (YouTube, 3/12)

Tax Increase Plan For Schools Is Shelved By Prince George’s County Leader (WAMU, 5/28)

– Enrollment at DCPS middle schools has seen a dramatic downward trend compared with the number of students who entered kindergarten within the system. Efforts are underway to change the course of that movement and improve the city’s middle schools. (GGW, 5/27)

Your name can reveal a lot about your age, birthplace, profession, and more. How accurate are your results?