June 5, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Friday roundup – June 1 through June 5, 2015

THIS WEEK IN THE WRAG COMMUNITY
– Yesterday marked the 3rd annual Do More 24 day of giving hosted by United Way of the National Capital Area. The campaign raised well over $1.4 million for more than 600 nonprofits serving DC, Northern Virginia, and Montgomery and Prince George’s counties. A total of 11,394 donations were made through the online giving portal.

THIS WEEK IN SOCIAL JUSTICE
The Washington Post did a special report on the number of individuals fatally shot by police nationwide so far this year. The in-depth study found that the number is reaching 400 people. (WaPo, 5/30)

THIS WEEK IN RACIAL EQUITY
– The Washington Post also explored policies and programs geared specifically toward young men of color, and examined why they continue to remain so important for the future of the economy. (WaPo, 6/3)

THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION
– Research shows that there is not only a gap in the number of rich and poor students enrolling in college, there is also a gap in the rate at which they complete college – the “graduation gap.” (NYT, 6/2)

– The Economic Policy Institute reported that young female college graduates earn significantly lower wages than young male graduates. This, despite the fact that average wages for all young college graduates is 2.5 percent lower than it was 15 years ago. (EPI, 6/3)

WRAG EVENTS NEXT WEEK

Preserving D.C.’s Safety Net (WRAG members)
Thursday, June 11  12:00 pm – 2:00 pm

Get on the Map: A How-To Webinar
Thursday, June 11  2:00 pm – 2:45 pm

Here‘s a great cartoon visualization and short story on privilege.