June 15, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Service-sector scheduling practices have negative impact on workers’ well-being

WORKFORCE
A new report from DC Jobs for Justice examines the true impact of on-call and split-shift scheduling for hourly workers in the District. The scheduling practices are widely used in the service sector and cause more than just minor inconveniences for employees. (WCP, 6/11)

The report found that 40 percent of workers’ schedules will change after they’re posted. About half of the more than 400 people surveyed said they receive only two days’ notice of schedule changes; 30 percent of respondents said they receive less than 24 hours’ notice.

“Just-in-time” scheduling results in unstable incomes, an inability to schedule childcare and second-job shifts reliably, pursue higher education, or acquire a second job, the report says. These practices most negatively impact black and Latino workers, who together comprise about 80 percent of the service sector workforce in D.C.

EQUITY | How our cars, our neighborhoods, and our schools are pulling us apart (WaPo, 6/9)

Opinion: In an effort to continue on the path of necessary education reform, DCPS administrators have created “units of study” aimed at shrinking the persistent achievement gap in the schools. Education advocates remain optimistic about whether or not the new approach will yield significant results. (WaPo, 6/12)

Virtual full-time high school may soon be a reality in Virginia (Loudoun Times, 6/15)

– CECP, in association with The Conference Board, has released an infographic of the results of their annual Giving in Numbers Survey, which looks at trends in the field of corporate societal engagement.

– In D.C., the Milken Family Foundation has announced plans to turn a historic bank into a new museum celebrating teachers that will be known as the Museum of the American Educator. (WBJ, 6/12)

YOUTH
– In a number of American cities, including D.C., those ages 16-24 living in majority-black neighborhoods are ten times more likely to be disconnected than those living in majority-white neighborhoods of the same city. Disconnected youth are individuals who are neither employed nor in school. (City Lab, 6/11)

– The Long, Hot Summer Ahead for D.C.’s Homeless Children (WAMU, 6/12)

Today, the Magna Carta turns 800 years old. See how much you know about Medieval law in this quiz.