June 17, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Using technology to hone in on hunger

FOOD/POVERTY
Some organizations, like Capital Area Food Bank, are utilizing emerging technology to map hunger and use data to hone in on those who need the most food assistance in the region. Through their research, they discovered that many of the families experiencing poverty and in need of the most help live in Washington-area suburbs, not urban areas as was typically the trend in years past. (WaPo, 6/16)

This trend has manifested across the country, and the District has been no exception. At the turn of the millennium, more than 214,000 people lived below the poverty level in the District’s suburbs. But that figure has since surged nearly 40 percent, according to data provided by the Brookings Institution. More than 346,000 residents live in suburban poverty. In that same time frame, the number of urban residents living in poverty also rose — but at a much slower clip. In 2000, more than 135,000 impoverished residents lived in Arlington, Alexandria and the District. Since then, that figure has risen by only 10 percent, to nearly 150,000.

[…]

The suburbanization of poverty has complicated the effort in fighting it. For one, this shift has stranded some of the region’s poorest residents far from resources­ that can help them. Earlier incarnations of poverty clustered in urban environments, spawning robust social networks that serviced those communities. But this nascent suburbanization of poverty frays that network. The suburban poor aren’t just spread out — they’re difficult to find, inhabiting the shadows of even the wealthiest communities across Montgomery County.

Opinion: Despite the growing number of American students living in poverty, a remarkable number of children are not able to access or benefit from the summer meals program. Bill Shore of Share Our Strength writes about the great need for innovation in the social sector to mirror that of other industries like the tech world, for example. (Chronicle, 6/17)

LGBT/WORKFORCE | Unequal Pay: The Gay Wage Gap (Atlantic, 6/17)

PHILANTHROPY | In celebration of the 14th annual National Capital Philanthropy Day and their 50th anniversary, the Association of Fundraising Professionals, Washington, DC Metro Chapter (AFP-DC) invites associations and nonprofits based in the District to nominate individuals/organizations for awards including: Outstanding Philanthropist, Outstanding Fundraising Volunteer, Outstanding Corporate Partner, Outstanding Foundation Partner, Outstanding Diversity Leader, and Outstanding Fundraising Professional. Nominations will be accepted until Friday, June 19.

ARTS/HOMELESSNESS | Street Art Highlights The Plight of Growing Numbers Of Homeless D.C. Residents (WAMU, 6/16)

HEALTHCARE | For most, enrolling in a health insurance plan can be an overwhelming task (especially when you need to know the difference between an EPO, HMO, PPO, etc.). Research shows that many computer-savvy millennials are not immune to a lack of health insurance literacy and, like some other demographics, find online enrollment to be a very difficult process. (NPR, 6/16)

What happens to a Kickstarter dream deferred (i.e. a project that raised $0)? Sometimes they end up on this website.

-Ciara