June 19, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Friday roundup – June 15 through June 19, 2015

THIS WEEK IN PHILANTHROPY
– CECP, in association with The Conference Board, released an infographic highlighting results of their annual Giving in Numbers Survey, which looks at trends in the field of corporate societal engagement.

– The 2015 Giving USA: Annual Report on Philanthropy found that charitable giving is estimated to have risen to a record $358.4 billion last year. The Chronicle of Philanthropy broke down some of the report’s key findings (Chronicle, 6/16)

THIS WEEK IN YOUTH
– Most children can’t wait until school lets out for the summer, but for many homeless students not being at school can mean hunger and instability. (WAMU, 6/12)

– A report shows that youth ages 16 to 24 who live in majority-black neighborhoods are 10 times more likely to be disconnected than those living in majority-white neighborhoods of the same city. “Disconnected youth” refers to those who are neither employed nor in school. (City Lab, 6/11)

THIS WEEK IN THE WORKFORCE
– We’re already familiar with gender and racial wage disparities that have persisted in America’s workforce. Now, a recent study reveals evidence of yet another wage gap – the gay wage gap. (Atlantic, 6/17)

– A new report by DC Jobs for Justice looked at the true impact of on-call and split-shift scheduling for hourly workers in the District.  (WCP, 6/11)

See how zoo keepers all over are reenacting a scene from Jurassic World. Don’t worry, no spoilers.