July 14, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Report finds rate of black children in poverty holds steady

CHILDREN/POVERTY
Analyzing data from the U.S. Census Bureau, the Pew Research Center has released a new report on American children living in poverty. Though the overall share of U.S. children in poverty declined slightly from 2010 to 2013, not every group has fared well as the economy recovers (Pew Research, 7/14):

Overall, 20% of children in the U.S., or 14.7 million, lived in poverty in 2013 – down from 22%, or 16.3 million, in 2010. (Poverty in 2013 was defined as living in a household with an annual income below $23,624 for a family of four with two related children.) During this period, the poverty rate declined for Hispanic, white and Asian children. Among black children, however, the rate held steady at about 38%. Black children were almost four times as likely as white or Asian children to be living in poverty in 2013, and significantly more likely than Hispanic children.

WRAG/PHILANTHROPY/CHILDREN | Following the recent tragic death of a nine-year-old boy after a brutal beating by his mother’s boyfriend, WRAG president Tamara Copeland asks whether philanthropy is doing enough to improve circumstances for children before things go this far. (WaPo, 7/6 and Daily, 7/14)

AFFORDABLE HOUSING
– Arlington County has released a series of public service announcements aimed at bringing attention to the great need for affordable housing in the area and the benefits it can bring. (ARLnow, 7/13)

Many American cities are smaller than they used to be, so why do they feel so full? (Vox, 7/13)

ARTS/HOUSING | After 10 years, Capital Fringe has become more than just a theater festival. It has evolved into what may soon become a neighborhood institution and affordable housing space for emerging artists. (WCP, 7/10)

WOMEN/WORKFORCE | Women Are More Likely to Work Multiple Jobs Than Men (EPI, 7/9)

EVENTS | A group of Georgetown University students has partnered with the D.C. Department of Small and Local Business Development to host Venture DC: Engaging Diverse Changemakers – an event to catalyze and support innovation and entrepreneurship in the District, particularly in wards 7 and 8. The two-day event will be held on July 31st and August 1st at the RISE Demonstration Center in Southeast DC, and will showcase entrepreneurs with solutions applicable to wards 7 and 8 and then connect them to social impact sector leaders and potential investors. Information about the event and agenda can be found at venturedc.org.

Let’s take a quick trip to Manhattan’s Soho neighborhood. How many homes do you think you could buy in other cities for the price of one SoHo apartment?