July 15, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Connecting troubled students to college early on may improve outcomes

The Daily WRAG will not be published tomorrow as WRAG staff will be away at an all-day retreat. 

A new study from the Rennie Center for Education Research and Policy suggests that enrolling less-affluent, first-generation students in early-college programs (where they simultaneously take classes in high-school and college) can significantly improve student outcomes. (Atlantic, 7/14)

Giving students an idea of what college is like by letting them enroll in college classes seems logical enough. It’s a test-run without the tuition bills and student loans. The center points to figures that suggest 86 percent of early-college graduates who go on to college stay for year two, compared with just 72 percent of college students nationally. These students are also less likely to need remedial classes.

[…]

Often, programs are supported through grants or private donations, solutions that aren’t easily scalable. But as tuition costs and student-loan debt soar, advocates of early-college programs say they offer a viable path to college completion for the students who need it most.

– Students’ Reading and Math Skills Are Still All Over the Map (NPR, 7/9)

REGION/TRANSIT | In Montgomery and Prince George’s counties, supporters of the Purple Line see the heavily-anticipated project as more than a boost to transit options. Many also hope it will be a connector to economic opportunities and a path to social equity. (WaPo, 7/14)

PHILANTHROPY | Opinion: Lessons From Charles Darwin on Promoting Philanthropy (Chronicle, 7/6) – Subscription required.

WORKFORCE | Using Census data from 2010, a researcher developed an interactive dot map to represent how employment is spread out in U.S. cities within several specific categories. (City Lab, 7/14)

Don’t cry over spilled milk…or coffee, or wine, or honey, etc.…make some art!