July 17, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

A decline in the region’s “millennial boom”

REGION/ECONOMY
While D.C. experienced a “millennial boom,” in which 1,300 young adults were relocating to the city each month, in recent years those figures have started to wane, causing a number of industries to brace themselves for the impact. So far, however, the decline has not been all bad (WaPo, 7/17):

Census data released last month indicates that the District’s incredible growth in young adults, ages 25 to 34, has stalled. After adding 10,430 people in that age bracket between 2010 and 2011, D.C. added a net of just 2,662 of them from 2013 to 2014.

Surrounding counties, including Arlington, Montgomery and Fairfax, have become even less attractive. Each lost more millennials than they added from 2013 to 2014.

[…]

There are differing views on why the boom in young arrivals has waned. One is the cuts to federal jobs and spending. D.C. lost 11,800 public sector jobs in the past four years, according to the District’s chief financial officer. In just a three-year period from 2010-2012, Virginia experienced $9.8 billion in defense cuts.

[…]

[…] the newest data show that despite the slowdown in millennial arrivals, older workers — those between 35 and 44 — are finding more opportunities in the bread-and-butter industries that have made up the area’s economy historically. That age group has grown at least 3 percent each of the past four years in D.C., a much more steady trajectory than millennial growth.

AFFORDABLE HOUSING |  In D.C.’s Chinatown, Chinese American residents watch as new residential developments take shape, demographics change, and remaining in the area becomes more difficult. (WaPo. 7/16)

DISTRICT/HEALTH | Washington City Paper explores the need to expand access to naloxone, a drug that reverses the symptoms of opioid overdoses, in the District. Advocates and health providers say that reducing the barriers to obtaining the drug would save lives. (WCP, 7/17)

HOMELESSNESS/VETERANS | Advocates Say That Ending Homelessness Among Veterans Is Achievable (WAMU, 7/15)

CHILDREN/EDUCATION | A newly-released study examining the social-emotional behavior of nearly 800 kindergartners since 1991 found that students who got along well with peers, were willing to share, and were considered cooperative, were more likely to go on to earn a college degree, hold a full-time job by 25, and avoid substance abuse problems. (WaPo, 7/16)

TRANSIT | Construction of the Purple Line project could begin in mid-May. (WBJ, 7/17)

So….Buffalo, NY still has a snow pile in the middle of July…