July 20, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Prince George’s County hopes for hospital plan approval

WRAG staff will be away for the remainder of the week at the Forum of Regional Associations of Grantmakers’ annual meeting. We’ll see you again next week.

HEALTH/REGION 
In Prince George’s County, a new medical campus approved by the county for development at Largo Town Center is projected to not only boost the nearby economy, but also tackle health disparities for residents in the area, if the project can gain state approval. (WaPo, 7/18)

[…] building the medical facility is the first step in remedying pressing health-care disparities for its residents, who have long complained about having to travel outside the county for care because of the limited options.

The new facility, which would be operated by the University of Maryland Medical System, would help tackle statistics that show Prince George’s residents have higher rates of chronic diseases — including diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, asthma and cancer — than people in neighboring counties. Studies also suggest that the county’s mortality rate is higher than that of Montgomery and Howard counties.

Loudoun expands mental health crisis intervention program (WaPo, 7/17)

DISTRICT/AFFORDABLE HOUSING | Opinion: Amid a growing population of more affluent residents and a decline in housing affordability, one writer takes a look at two different directions the District could be headed in the near future. (WaPo, 7/17)

PHILANTHROPY | Interview: Jean Case, Case Foundation CEO, offers her thoughts on the ways in which millennials are influencing the workforce and supporting causes, based on research from the foundation’s recent series of reports on the matter. (Philantopic, 7/17)

NONPROFITS | RAISE DC is still accepting applications for their Data Spotlight Awards through Friday, July 24 at 5:00 PM. The awards highlight schools and nonprofits that use data in innovative and impactful ways to address challenges youth face from cradle to career.

Happy Moon Day! Relive the moment here.

-Ciara