July 30, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

The push for more flexible DCPS graduation requirements reemerges

Picking up on a previously stalled attempt to bring about more flexible graduation requirements for DCPS students, the D.C. State Board of Education plans to launch a task force to develop recommendations for awarding credit. (WaPo, 7/30)

The proposal would move the District away from a system based solely on the age-old “Carnegie unit,” which grants credit according to seat time in favor of a system that rewards how much a student knows or can do.

[…]

Proponents say students often need more or less time to demonstrate their understanding of a subject. And seat time requirements make it difficult for students who drop out or fall behind to catch up and pursue a diploma, an increasingly important consideration as the District works to improve its graduation rate and bring back young people who have dropped out.

HIV/AIDS | Today, the White House unveils an updated national strategy to progress in the fight against HIV/AIDS. (White House, 7/30)

ECONOMY
– Interview: Director of Arlington Economic Development Victor L. Hoskins discusses the future of the county and how it can rise to face the challenges that could prohibit economic growth there. (WaPo, 7/29)

– A new study examines the debt burdens for Americans across generations. According to data, 80 percent of Americans have some form of debt and many are carrying it well into their later years. (NPR, 7/29)

CHILDREN/DISTRICT| Coalition Forms To Bring Universal Child Care to D.C. (DCist, 7/29)

HOUSING
– The Montgomery County Council approved tax credits for low-income renters as the area looks to become more urban with upcoming development. Few people are expected to qualify. (WAMU, 7/29)

Latino Incomes Are Rising, So Why Are Their Homeownership Rates Dropping? (City Lab, 7/29)

ARTS | The Shakespeare Theatre Company will extend its annual Free For All Program to each mainstage show this season, in an effort to make the arts more accessible to the community. (WaPo, 7/30)

PHILANTHROPY | Are you looking for ways to make your nonprofit reporting requirements more thoughtful and meaningful for all involved? Here are some tips to further develop guidelines. (CEP, 7/28)

COMMUNITY | The Community Foundation for Northern Virginia’s Business Women’s Giving Circle has launched its second annual grant cycle to support nonprofit organizations and schools that provide STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math), Entrepreneurship and/or Leadership programs to girls in K-12 public schools, colleges and universities. Interested applicants can learn more here.

What do you do when your toddler is obsessed with a personal injury lawyer’s commercials on television? You throw him a personal injury lawyer-themed birthday party, of course!