July 31, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Friday roundup – July 27 through July 31, 2015

THIS WEEK IN THE REGION
– The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors approved a redevelopment plan for the Seven Corners area. (WaPo, 7/29)

– The Montgomery County Council approved tax credits for low-income renters as the area looks to become more urban, but few people are expected to actually qualify. (WAMU, 7/29)

– Interview: Director of Arlington Economic Development Victor L. Hoskins talked about the future of the county and how it should rise to face the challenges that could prohibit future economic growth. (WaPo, 7/29)

THIS WEEK IN HIV/AIDS
– In a new report, the World Health Organization looked at the wide disparities in access to adequate health care for transgender individuals, often due to discrimination. (NPR, 7/26)

– The White House released an updated national strategy to continue the fight against HIV/AIDS. (White House, 7/30)

THIS WEEK IN HEALTHCARE
– This week, Medicare turned 50 years old. Check out how many people in our region are impacted by the program. (WBJ, 7/29)

THIS WEEK IN EDUCATION
– George Washington University joined a growing list of institutions that have recently decided to drop testing requirements for some freshman admissions in an effort to reduce barriers for disadvantaged students to attend. Some are worried whether the change will be enough to recruit low-income students. (WaPo, 7/27)

WRAG EVENTS NEXT WEEK

Northern Virginia LEG: Streamline Your Grantmaking
Thursday, August 6  10:00 am to 12:00 pm

Take a look a these cool (but kind of terrifying) giant gummy bears