August 12, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

A growing number of people living in high-poverty neighborhoods

POVERTY
The number of Americans living in high-poverty areas has steadily risen for years. According to a new analysis of Census data, the number of individuals living in those areas nearly doubled from 7.2 million in 2000 to 13.8 million in 2013 – and the effects are likely to last for years to come. (Atlantic, 8/9)

Half a century after President Lyndon B. Johnson declared a war on poverty, the number of Americans living in slums is rising at an extraordinary pace.

The number of people living in high-poverty areas—defined as census tracts where 40 percent or more of families have income levels below the federal poverty threshold—nearly doubled between 2000 and 2013, to 13.8 million from 7.2 million, according to a new analysis of Census data by Paul Jargowsky, a public-policy professor at Rutgers University-Camden and a fellow at The Century Foundation. That’s the highest number of Americans living in high-poverty neighborhoods ever recorded.

[…]

A child who grows up in a high-poverty area is likely to be poor when he grows up. Research out this year from Harvard shows that children who moved from poor areas to more affluent areas had higher incomes and better educational achievements than those who stayed in poor areas. Without dramatic changes, today’s children who live in high-poverty areas are going to grow up to be poor, too.

Related Event: On September 18, sociologist Dr. Karl Alexander of Johns Hopkins University will discuss findings of a groundbreaking 25-year study on the life-long consequences of being born into povertyThis Brightest Minds event is sponsored by the Jane Bancroft Robinson Foundation. The event is open to the public.  Click here to learn more and to register.

CSR | Congratulations to WRAG members Accenture, Citi, and IBM for being named finalists for the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s 2015 Corporate Citizenship Awards! Click here to learn more about why these companies have been chosen as nominees for this competitive award.

HOMELESSNESS/VETERANS | Housing for Homeless Veterans Is Planned For Ex-Walter Reed Site (NYT 8/10)

COMMUNITY | The National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy shares a positive experience in collaboration from a recent event held by the Association of Black Foundation Executives in partnership with DC Trust and The Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation, focused on improving circumstances for black males. (NCRP, 8/7)

AGING | D.C. received high marks on a list ranking the best cities for aging in place based on the availability of technology-assisted services for things like meals, medical care, and transportation. (WBJ, 8/11)

This week, when Google announced its new parent company, the news went wild. Unfortunately, so did this unsuspecting man’s Twitter notifications.

One Comment

1. nudrat / Aug 22 2015 1:12 pm

Wondering poverty rate is rising in place of going down. where the policies and plans are working?