September 2, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

A new blueprint for housing homeless families

The Daily will return Tuesday, September 8th. Enjoy your Labor Day weekend.

HOMELESSNESS 
Yesterday, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser released the city’s updated blueprint for housing homeless families. The plan, slated to go before the D.C. Council, includes several major updates to approaches that have been used for years (WaPo, 9/1):

On Tuesday, Bowser (D) announced that the District will accept shelter applications from families any day of the year, not just on freezing nights, as has been the policy for decades. Her staff said it had quietly begun testing the new policy and found a dramatic need: Almost 300 families have been given emergency placements in motel rooms since June.

COMMUNITY | DC Trust has announced a request for proposals for their Community Partnership Mini-Grants Initiative. The initiative is geared toward social profit organizations and individuals serving D.C. residents to address key community priorities in select communities, and supports programming in the areas of violence prevention and mediation, mentoring, youth enrichment, and family supports. Click here to find out more. 

EDUCATION/DISTRICT

– For years, a number of schools in the District took a no frills approach to curricula in hopes of producing better student outcomes. Now, District high schools are seeing more elective course offerings to boost student satisfaction. (WaPo, 9/1)

–  Why D.C. Wants to Teach Every Kid How to Ride a Bike (City Lab, 9/1)

IMMIGRATION/YOUTH | A new report from the Migration Policy Institute explores the long-lasting academic, psychological, and social hardships children of immigrants often face due to stereotypes and low-expectations at school and from peers. (City Lab, 9/1)

AFFORDABLE HOUSING
– Some are concerned that Alington isn’t doing enough to bring affordable housing to all parts of the county. (ARLnow, 9/2)

– Greater Greater Washington provides a lesson on just what, exactly, inclusionary zoning is. (GGW, 9/1)

Somewhere in Arlington, a library detective is celebrating a huge victory after 34-years.