September 9, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Nearly one in 10 youth disconnected in the District

DISTRICT/YOUTH 
Raise DC,  a coalition of public, private, and social profit groups, has released a new report providing  a snapshot of the District’s progress on its five high-level goals related to kindergarten readiness, high school graduation, reconnection of youth to education and/or training, college or credential completion, and youth employment. This marks a first look at improvement in aggregated citywide data since its baseline report card in 2013. Some of the findings in the report include (WaPo, 9/9 and RAISE DC, 9/9 ):

Nearly one in 10 District residents aged 16 to 24 was not working and not in school between 2010 and 2012 […], according to a new report from Raise DC, a coalition of public, private and nonprofit groups.

The city calls such people “disconnected youth,” and officials are trying to find them and help them re-enroll in school or job training.

Click here to view Raise DC’s full Progress Report.

– D.C. Public Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson has proposed changes to the city’s summer jobs program that would provide a pathway to higher-earning jobs for young people. (WAMU, 9/9)

– Exponent Philanthropy, along with Arabella Advisors and Mission Investors Exchange, has released a new guide for small foundations interested in the essentials of impact investing. (Exponent Philanthropy, 9/9)

Opinion: Why Success Sometimes Eludes Community Efforts to Fight Social Problems (Chronicle, 9/4)

CSR/SOCIAL PROFITS | Tim McClimon, president of the American Express Foundation and lead faculty member for the Institute for CSR, discusses income inequalities in the social profit sector – more often associated with large corporations – in the wake of the Securities and Exchange Commission’s new requirement for publicly-traded companies to disclose CEO pay ratios. (American Express, 9/8)

CHILDREN/HEALTH | The Journal of the American Medical Association reports that extremely premature babies born today have a better chance at survival than they did 20 years ago. Despite this improvement, the rate of significant health problems for those who survive has remained unchanged since 1993. (NPR, 9/8)

POVERTY
– A new book explores what life is like for the many Americans who get by on cash incomes of around $2.00 per day for long stretches of time. Many of those individuals are completely disconnected from the job market and are unable to receive much in government assistance. (Atlantic, 9/6)

Why Boosting Poor Children’s Vocabulary is Important for Public Health (Atlantic, 9/7)

Take a quick guess before you click on this. What do you think is the dirtiest surface on an airplane?