September 14, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

A long-term look at child poverty in America

POVERTY
With 40 years of data, a new analysis by the Urban Institute finds that two in five American children experience poverty at some point during childhood. The study also looks at how a child’s future adult success is affected by their parent’s circumstances. (Urban Institute, 9/9)

One in every five children currently lives in poverty, but nearly twice as many experience poverty sometime during childhood. Using 40 years of data, this analysis follows children from birth to age 17, then through their 20s, to examine how childhood poverty and family and neighborhood characteristics relate to achievement in young adulthood, such as completing high school by age 20, enrolling in postsecondary education by age 25, completing a four-year college degree by age 25, and being consistently employed from ages 25 to 30. Parents’ education achievement, residential stability, and neighborhood quality all relate to adult success.

COMMUNITY | Congratulations to Jennifer Lockwood-Shabat, president and CEO of the Washington Area Women’s Foundation, on being named one of Washington Business Journal‘s 2016 Women Who Mean Business. Read more about her receiving the honor here. (WBJ, 9/11)

PHILANTHROPY | Operating and being an employee of a family foundation can come with its own very unique set of challenges. Jay Ruderman, president of the Ruderman Family Foundation in Boston, shares how he manages to avoid pitfalls and maintain his family’s legacy. (NYT, 9/11)

EDUCATION/DISTRICTSchool choice complicates Promise Neighborhood’s efforts to help kids (WaPo, 9/12)

HOUSING
– Many conflicting studies exist on the topics of gentrification and displacement. While researchers look for a narrative within data they gather on neighborhoods experiencing major changes, it’s possible that no study has really gotten the story “right” yet. (WaPo, 9/14)

Opinion: Five myths about public housing (WaPo, 9/11)

FINANCIAL LITERACY |  Pitfalls for the Unwary Borrower Out on the Frontiers of Banking (NYT, 9/13)

The science behind waiting in lines.