September 28, 2015 / Rebekah Seder, Editor

The impact of school segregation on African American males

Research finds that black male students attending majority black schools score lower on academic achievement tests than those who attend more diverse schools (WaPo, 9/24):

Researchers looked at how black students performed on the test and the demographic makeup of their schools. A “high density” black school was defined as a school where at least 60 percent of the students are black. Nationally, these schools were concentrated in Southern and Midwestern cities, researchers found.

The researchers adjusted the test scores for all the factors they thought could affect student achievement, including family poverty, concentration of poverty in a school and credentials of teachers, and they still found the achievement gap between average white males and black males attending a “high density” black school was 25 points, compared to a gap of 17 points for black males who attended schools where blacks made up 20 percent or less than the student body.

– WAMU profiles the partnership between Mary’s Center and Briya Public Charter School, an innovative model of pairing education and health care to more effectively support the needs of entire families. (WAMU, 9/25)

HOUSING | The D.C. Housing Authority is generating revenue for affordable housing by renovating some of the vacant and run-down single-family homes it owns and selling them at market rate prices. Some say that, in an era of federal budget cuts, this as a sensible move to take advantage of a strong real estate market to fund improvements to existing public housing units, while others question whether the practice is contributing to the displacement of lower-income residents from of gentrifying neighborhoods. (WAMU, 9/28)

DISTRICT | Blocks From the Pope’s Mass, a Dumping Ground for the Nation’s Capital (Nat Geo, 9/22)

HOMELESSNESS | A new 24-hour homeless shelter that will include a number of on-site wrap-around services is set to open in Arlington, the first of its kind in the region. (DCist, 9/25)

ARTS | D.C.’s secret export: theater (WaPo, 9/24)

RACISM | Opinion: Born that way? ‘Scientific’ racism is creeping back into our thinking. Here’s what to watch out for. (WaPo, 9/28)

Apparently the supermoon lunar eclipse looked far more impressive from the point of view of professional photographers.

– Rebekah