October 13, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

New study a ‘wake up call’ for funders of black and Latino arts groups

ARTS
The University of Maryland’s DeVos Institute of Arts Management has released a new national study on funding for African American and Latino arts groups. The report, with its controversial findings, may serve as a ‘wake up call’ to some arts funders (LA Times, 10/12):

Sending “a wake-up call” to arts donors, a new national study paints a bleak economic picture of African American and Latino nonprofit museums and performing arts companies and suggests that donors may have to let weaker organizations wither so that the strongest ones can grow.

Funders may need to support “a limited number of organizations,” says the report by the University of Maryland’s DeVos Institute of Arts Management, “with larger grants to a smaller cohort that can manage themselves effectively, make the best art, and have the biggest impact on their communities.”

– Take a glimpse at the highly anticipated expansion of the Town Hall Education Arts Recreation Center – also known as THEARC – scheduled to break ground later this month. Big plans are in place for the facility. (WBJ, 10/6)

Arlington County proposes speeding up its exit from the Artisphere (WBJ, 10/12)

–  CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield has announced that it will award $3 million to social profit organizations and government organizations in the region to develop new, innovative telemedicine programs that improve access to healthcare. (WBJ, 10/12)

– Grantmakers for Effective Organizations has released a new publication, The Source Codes of Foundation Culture, a resource exploring the organizational culture of foundations and what it takes to modify the values and practices deeply ingrained in their work. (GEO, 10/8)

– The Foley Hoag Foundation is now accepting applications from qualified social profit organizations located in Washington, D.C. through an invitation-only process. The foundation seeks help in identifying those organizations who may be a good fit. Guidelines focus on eliminating inequality in all forms and on small grassroots organizations. You can find more information on the guidelines  here.

– A study commissioned by the Montgomery County Board of Education examines how the county’s school system has served students with specials needs and their parents. According to the report, further staff training, more psychologists, and greater efforts to educate parents on complex processes will be necessary to bring the high-performing schools to where they need to be. (WaPo, 10/9)

– In the District, a growing number of parents are opting out of traditional schooling in favor of home-schooling, with the number of registered home-schooling families up by a third over the past two years. (WaPo, 10/10)

A Discouraging Portrait of America’s Urban Public Schools (City Lab, 10/9)

SOCIAL INNOVATION | Read how financial institution Goldman Sachs saw success while dabbling in social impact bonds with an investment in 100 Utah preschoolers. (NYT, 10/7)

All aboard!