October 14, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

The Community Foundation in Montgomery County appoints Anna Hargrave as new Executive Director

COMMUNITY 
The Community Foundation for the National Capital Region (CFNCR) has appointed Anna Hargrave as the new Executive Director of the Montgomery County office. Hargrave has served at The Community Foundation for nine years in many roles. Bruce McNamer, president and CEO of CFNCR said of the appointment:

“Anna is a strong, effective, and generous leader. She has the perfect combination of on-the-ground experience and strategic vision that we need to support and grow our work in Montgomery County. I join the Board and my colleagues in congratulating her on this appointment and look forward to working with her in this new capacity.”

FOOD ACCESS
A new study published by the American Journal of Public Health finds that, despite the presence of ‘big-box retailers’ who have begun selling fresh produce in areas considered food deserts, many American shoppers still opt for junk food options. The question of whether it’s the type of store or consumer preference that leads to unhealthy choices remains unanswered for researchers. (NPR, 10/14)

CHILDREN/EDUCATION | Hispanic student enrollment has surged in the Montgomery County school system, with Latino children now making up 30 to 32 percent of those in kindergarten through 4th grade. Youth advocates call for the county, and other areas seeing demographic changes, to go beyond programming in order to appropriately cater to students. (WaPo, 10/14)

HOUSING | In D.C., officials looking to reduce the number of vacant homes across the city are often met with challenges like legal loopholes. (WAMU, 10/9)

HOMELESSNESS | Debate On Replacing D.C. Shelter Finds That Bathrooms Are a Crucial Question (WAMU, 10/14)

HEALTH
–  A writer explores what the District’s proposed 16-week paid leave policy could mean for transgender patients pursuing transitional surgeries. (Blade, 10/9)

– A recent study finds that medical costs in D.C. are relatively affordable in comparison with other major U.S. cities despite the true costs of care varying widely within the city. (WBJ, 10/12)

Why 80 Percent of Addicts Can’t Get Treatment (Atlantic, 10/13)

ECONOMY | The states where people have the best and worst financial habits (WaPo, 10/13)

This week in new studies that will probably be debunked again by next week: this and this