October 15, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

New DCFPI report highlights need for education and training reforms

ECONOMY/DISTRICT
A new report by the DC Fiscal Policy Institute (DCFPI) looks at the challenges facing D.C. residents with lower levels of education in a growing economy. With unemployment highest among those without a college degree, the report, and some city officials, look toward expanding job training opportunities and a higher minimum wage as a way to weaken disparities. (WaPo, 10/15)

Although wages have increased for college-educated residents, they have dropped for those with only a high school diploma. “Wages have fallen $2 an hour since 1980 for residents with a high school diploma, to just $13 an hour for the typical worker,” the report says. Over the same period, the pay for college-educated residents rose by $4.50 an hour, adjusted for inflation.

You can access the full report by DCFPI, “Two Paths to Better Jobs for DC Residents: Improved Training and Stronger Job Protections,”  here.

HOUSING
As D.C.’s Congress Heights neighborhood makes big plans for redevelopment, many longtime residents grow concerned about what the rapid changes will mean for their own futures. (WaPo, 10/15)

–  The Fundamental Contradictions of U.S. Housing Policy (City Lab, 10/14)

IMMIGRATION/VIRGINIA | In this article detailing the plight of unaccompanied minors who have been sent to live in the U.S., Virginia  is highlighted as just one example of the ways in which states vary widely on laws pertaining to their well-being. (Atlantic, 10/15)

COMMUNITY | Danielle Reyes has been named as the first-ever executive director for the Crimsonbridge Foundation based in Bethesda, MD. (WBJ, 10/14)

ARTS
– The Cultural Data Project, which many local arts organizations are familiar with as the online tool used to track financial, operations, and financial data, is re-branding as DataArts. Check out their press release to learn more.

– After 20 years in its current location, the Goethe-Institut Washington will move to a new home in D.C. The German cultural center cites rising rental costs as the reason behind the move. (WCP, 10.13)

ENVIRONMENT | How Green Can the District Grow (Elevation, 10/6)

SOCIAL PROFITS | ProInspire, a social profit, leadership development organization, is launching an executive coaching program for leaders at social sector organizations in Washington, D.C. Click here to learn more about the program. 

For today’s history lesson – How did these Bethesda neighborhoods get their names?