October 20, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

The numbers (and morals) behind developing affordable housing

HOUSING
new interactive tool available online shows how developers can, in fact, generate a profit by building affordable housing almost anywhere despite the commonly-held belief that this is not possible. Jennifer Bradley, founding director of the Center for Urban Innovation at the Aspen Institute (and WRAG’s business meeting speaker at our upcoming 2015 Annual Meeting) was a panelist at a recent summit that examined assumptions like this around affordable housing. (City Lab, 10/19)

It can feel like a mantra among private developers: Requirements by municipal governments to include affordable units in market-rate housing developments make those developments unprofitable, even unfeasible. It may be one of the most frequently repeated claims about housing in general. Can it possibly be right?

That’s the question that Jennifer Bradley, founding director of the Center for Urban Innovation at the Aspen Institute, posed during an afternoon session Monday at The Atlantic’s CityLab 2015 summit in London. As it turns out, it’s not a rhetorical question. Affordable housing isn’t a profit proposition. It’s a question of morals.

DC’s affordable housing might be saved through collaboration (Elevation DC, 10/20)

COMMUNITY/EVENTS | WRAG’s colleague organization, the Association of Baltimore Area Grantmakers, has generously invited WRAG member funders to participate in their upcoming program, Vulnerable Immigrants in Maryland: Responding to Unaccompanied Children and Undocumented Adults on Tuesday, October 27 at 2:00 pm. Click here for details on how to attend in person or register to join remotely.

ENVIRONMENTBig Solar Plans for Montgomery County (WBJ, 10/20)

– Newly-released numbers point to a four percent increase in graduation rates for D.C. public school students who graduated within four years, up from the 2013-14 school year. (DCist, 10/19)

– In a new study measuring the efforts of high schools across the U.S. in teaching financial literacy, Virginia was named one of only five states to receive an “A” grade. Maryland received a “B”, while D.C. came away with an “F”.  (WBJ, 10/20)

WORKFORCE | Survey: Half Of Food Workers Go To Work Sick Because They Have To (NPR, 10/19)

SOCIAL PROFITS | The Jack Kent Cooke Foundation invites proposals from youth-serving social profit organizations in the Greater Washington region for its Good Neighbor Grant program, which offers one-time grants of $10,000 to $35,000. The application deadline is December 3, 2015. Click here for more information.

ECONOMY/VIRGINIA | Check out which Virginia county is becoming a hub for startups. (Inc., 10/15)

When you come across an old-timey photo at a garage sale or junk store, you buy it!