October 21, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Adventures in being “underbanked” and “unbanked”

ECONOMIC INEQUALITY/POVERTY
A recent breakdown of a major prepaid debit card company’s system that left many without funds shines a broader light on the perils of low-income Americans who are among the “underbanked” and “unbanked.” (NYT, 10/21)

In its most recent survey, the F.D.I.C. counted 25.4 million people in the United States in 2013 who had no bank account. Another 67.5 million had an account but also relied on nonbank financial services such as check-cashing stores or payday lenders.

Jonathan Mintz, a former commissioner of New York City’s Department of Consumer Affairs, said a lack of safe banking options threatened to worsen economic inequality.

Are Community Foundations Stepping Up Support for LGBT Issues? It Looks That Way (Inside Philanthropy, 10/12)

INVESTING/DIVESTING
–  More socially responsible investing and, thus, divestment campaigns, have come into the mainstream over the past two decades. Though well-intentioned, these moves can often be misguided in their efforts to truly make a difference. (New Yorker, 10/20)

More Foundations and Endowments Weigh Private Equity Co-Investments (NYT, 10/20)

COMMUNITY | United Way of the National Capital Area (UWNCA) has joined the Greater McLean Chamber of Commerce and George Mason University Center for Nonprofit Management, Philanthropy, and Policy for the Regional Nonprofit Forum to be held on Thursday, November 5, 2015 at George Mason University’s Fairfax campus. The event will feature keynote speakers Rick Moyers of the Meyer Foundation and John Brothers of the T. Rowe Price Foundation. There will also be a discussion on ways leaders adapt to ongoing changes in the social profit sector by Rosie Allen-Herring of UWNCA and Mary Agee, formerly of Northern Virginia Family Service.

– Many Hands is accepting Letters of Inquiry from organizations interested in applying for a grant byNovember 30. Qualified 501(c)(3) organizations will be referred to one of four focus area committees – Education, Health, Housing and Job Readiness – for further consideration. Click here and here for more information about the process, or visit manyhandsdc.org.

EDUCATION/DISTRICT | Enrollment up in D.C. public schools for seventh consecutive year (WaPo, 10/20)

FOOD | As Schools Buy More Local Food, Kids Throw Less Food in the Trash (NPR, 10/20)

Do you hate cold weather? Other than packing up and moving down south, here’s how you can enjoy pleasant temperatures all year long