October 22, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

How a disadvantaged start contributes to a growing gender gap

GENDER/INEQUALITY
Social science researchers have been studying a growing gender gap across the U.S. in which boys (particularly minorities and those in poverty) have been lagging behind their female counterparts in education and in the workforce. Studies have found that young boys react more negatively to circumstances than young girls when they come from disadvantaged homes.  (NYT, 10/22)

New research from social scientists offers one explanation: Boys are more sensitive than girls to disadvantage. Any disadvantage, like growing up in poverty, in a bad neighborhood or without a father, takes more of a toll on boys than on their sisters. That realization could be a starting point for educators, parents and policy makers who are trying to figure out how to help boys – particularly those from black, Latino and immigrant families.

IMMIGRATION/YOUTH | School districts in the region, like Montgomery County, have experienced a recent influx of unaccompanied minors from South America. In Oakland, CA,  a school system once challenged by the number of incoming students has found effective ways to meet students’ needs. (NPR, 10/20)

AGING/HOUSING | When assisted living facilities and nursing homes suddenly close, many seniors are left with few options for affordable, supportive housing. (City Lab, 10/20)

WORKFORCE
– Closing The Loopholes On A Living Wage In Montgomery County (WAMU, 10/21)

– Many contracted workers at National Airport earn as little as $6.75 per hour and struggle to make ends meet in an expensive region. Workers recently rallied there for better benefits and higher wages. (WaPo, 10/21)

PHILANTHROPY | The Grants Managers Network is looking for your ideas, experiences, successes or research about ways to streamline any and all philanthropic processes to publish in their journal GMNsight. Submit article abstracts now through October 31.

There’s still time to get into some peak fall foliage in the Greater Washington region.