November 5, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Examining the Washington region’s global competitiveness

ECONOMY/REGION
The Brookings Institution and JPMorgan Chase have teamed up on the Global Cities Initiative, a joint project that aims to help leaders in U.S. metropolitan areas reorient their economies toward greater engagement in world markets. Their newly-released report on the Greater Washington region finds areas where the region must improve in order to reach its full potential and bring about greater economic growth. (WBJ, 11/5)

The overall report paints a not-so-subtle picture of a Greater Washington with far more potential if only local leaders could work together to improve the D.C. area’s profile.

“Leaders in many other U.S. regions that face similar economic headwinds are taking active steps to understand and enhance their competitive position and connections in a growing global economy,” the report said.

– A new report from the Urban Land Institute Washington looks at the trends among millennials in the region through an in-depth survey on the housing and transportation habits of those living inside and near the beltway. (Bisnow, 11/4)

HOUSING | In their Matters@Hand thought-leadership series sponsored by Enterprise Community Partners, HAND explores the new Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing rule, requiring cities, counties and other entities receiving HUD funding to use local data to better identify potential fair housing issues and develop solutions for the communities they serve. (Helping Hands Blog, 11/5)

EDUCATION/DISTRICT | The D.C. Office of Revenue Analysis highlights the demographics behind the recently-released results of the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) and the Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) exams taken by D.C. students. (District Measured, 11/5)

TRANSPORTATION
– Areas east of the Anacostia River have long been void of adequate taxi service. With the emergence of ride hailing services, however, more and more residents are connected to transportation and officials hope to further expand transit options. (WAMU, 11/4)

More Washington workers will get commuter benefits (WaPo, 11/4)

HEALTH | In Reversal, Death Rates Rise for Middle-Aged Whites (NPR, 11/2)

YOUTH/SOCIAL PROFITS | Raise DC announced the recipients of their DC Data Spotlight Awards, recognizing social profit and local education agencies’ use of data in helping District youth succeed. Ten winners were chosen to receive a $10,000 award. For more information about the award and to check out the winners, click here.

The next time someone asks why you haven’t replied to their email, let them know it’s simply because you’re being productive.