November 24, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

College enrollment rates fall for low-income students

The Daily WRAG will return on Monday, November 30. Happy Thanksgiving.

A new analysis of Census Bureau data finds that low-income high school graduates were less likely to enroll in higher education in 2013 than they were in 2008. The report’s authors call the trend particularly troubling due to the fact that more than half of K-12 public school students come from low-income families. (WaPo, 11/24)

According to an annual Census Bureau survey, overall college enrollment rates dropped three percentage points between 2008 and 2013, from 69 percent to 66 percent.

But college enrollment among the poorest high school graduates — defined as those from the bottom 20 percent of family incomes — dropped 10 percentage points during the same time period, the largest sustained drop in four decades, according to the analysis. In 2013, just 46 percent of low-income high school graduates enrolled in two-year and four-year institutions, according to the data.

– The Missing Black Students at Elite American Universities (Atlantic, 11/23)

COMMUNITY/MARYLAND | Maryland will partner with IBM on their Pathways in Technology Early College High Schools (P-Tech) education model that blends high school, college, and work experience to provide students with an experience that will prepare them for high-tech jobs. Two of the four schools slated for Maryland will open in Baltimore. (WaPo, 11/23)

– The National Center for Family Philanthropy has released the results of a survey conducted with the Urban Institute on trends among family foundations. The report uses survey results of a representative sample of 2,500 family foundations. (NCFP, 11/23)

Giving to Food Causes is Increasingly Popular – and More Complicated (Chronicle, 11/18) – Subscription required

INEQUALITY
– When an American street is renamed in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., is it a sign of progress or a mockery of the Civil Rights Movement? Some activists are working to change the common perception of these thoroughfares. (City Lab, 11/23)

– In this interview, 2015 Nobel Prize Winner for economics Angus Deaton shares some of his ideas on income inequality and discusses findings from his recently-published study on mortality rates for non-Hispanic, middle-aged white Americans. (WSJ, 11/23)

DISTRICT/HOUSING | A new mixed-use development combining affordable housing units, health care, and job training is coming to D.C.’s ward 7 and is the first of its kind in the city. (WaPo, 11/24)

CHILDREN/WORKFORCE | The group of moms who struggle especially hard with daycare (WaPo, 11/24)

When it comes to fresh produce, it doesn’t have to be pretty to taste good.