November 30, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

Schools in the region face heavy student enrollment increases

Many school districts in the region have seen a surge in student enrollment over the last 10 years, but that growth has hit certain areas unevenly. Some northern Virginia schools, in particular, struggle to keep up with the dramatic increase in new students. (WAMU, 11/30)

The most dramatic growth has been in Loudoun County, where enrollment has increased a mind-boggling 67 percent over the last decade. That’s far outpacing the rate of population growth in Loudoun over the last decade, which was 43 percent.

“They try to lessen the impact on students, so you’ll have staff that may have what once was a storage facility has been turned into an office area,” says School Board member Debbie Rose, adding it’s been a challenge to handle the crush of new students.

– A recent report by Demos takes a look at how student debt further enables racial wealth inequality to persist in the U.S. (Demos, 11/24)

HOMELESSNESS | D.C. Moves Forward On Plan To Close D.C. General Homeless Shelter (WAMU, 11/24)

ECONOMY/DISTRICT
– As more and more developers roll out plans for a changing Anacostia, residents brace themselves for what may come. (WaPo, 11/26)

The Connection Between Vibrant Neighborhoods and Economic Growth (CityLab, 11/25)

INEQUALITY/PHILANTHROPY | A new study examines how inequality influences giving. According to research, wealthy people in states where incomes are more evenly distributed are more likely to be generous. (Bloomberg, 11/23)

What do you get when you want to remake the 1984 film “Purple Rain” in a language that has no word for purple? A film called “Rain the Color of Blue with a Little Red in It.”