December 1, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

A quarter of D.C. students ‘on track’ for college and careers

EDUCATION/DISTRICT
According to newly-released results from the Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) exams in English and math administered last spring, just a quarter of D.C. public and charter schools’ third-eighth graders are considered “on track” for college and careers. The results confirm an achievement gap that persists well into high school and beyond. (WaPo, 11/30)

White students had a proficiency rate of 79 percent in English and 70 percent in math. For Hispanic students, the proficiency rate was 21 percent in English and 22 percent in math. Black students had a 17 percent proficiency rate in both English and math.

[…]

The achievement gap also was stark in high school, with 52 percent of white students scoring proficient or better on the geometry test, compared with 8 percent of Hispanic students and 4 percent of black students. Eighty-two percent of white students met the college-ready target in English, compared with 25 percent of Hispanic students and 20 percent of black students.

When school, county officials meet in Fairfax, talk is all about budget cuts (WaPo, 11/24)

– The Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History has announced a new, long-term Philanthropy Initiative and display titled “Giving In America,” providing a look at how philanthropy has shaped American culture throughout the years. The announcement was made during the Smithsonian’s first annual philanthropy symposium, and coincides with today’s international day of giving, known as #GivingTuesday. (PR Newswire, 12/1)

– Opinion: As climate change continues to be a hot-button issue in the U.S. and worldwide, some foundations like the MacArthur Foundation and the Robertson Foundation are ramping up efforts to support a national climate and clean energy plan, and are urging other organizations to do the same. (Chronicle, 11/30) *Warning: This post contains a graphic image.

ARTS & HUMANITIES | Ever wonder what it might be like to play alongside the Philadelphia Orchestra? Thanks to the Google Cultural Institute and participating arts organizations, experiences like these are available to a broad audience through 360-degree videos that place you right in the midst of stunning performing and visual arts. (NYT, 12/1)

HEALTH
– In honor of #WorldAIDSDay, here are 7 facts about where the world stands on HIV/AIDS today. (USA Today, 12/1)

– New Diabetes Cases, at Long Last, Begin to Fall in the United States (NYT, 12/1)

Get out of here, Daylight Savings Time. Or maybe we should all just head to Hawaii?