December 2, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

New bill would prevent just-in-time scheduling for District workers

DISTRICT/WORKFORCE
Under a new bill introduced to the D.C. Council,  certain retail establishments and restaurants would be required to provide employees with work schedules at least three week in advance in an effort to prevent on-call scheduling practices that can often leave workers with unpredictable shifts and few options to tend to family obligations. (WCP, 12/1)

The “Hours and Scheduling Stability Act”—endorsed by labor advocates including United Food and Commercial Workers Local 400 and DC Jobs with Justice—would also require these employers to compensate employees whose shifts have been changed thereafter. The employee would receive one hour of pay after the change and four hours of pay if the change happens within 24 hours of a scheduled shift.

COMMUNITY | The Bank of America Charitable Foundation’s Student Leaders Program is accepting applications for 2016. The program helps juniors and seniors in high school gain a greater understanding of how nonprofits create impact in the community and helps develop them as the next generation of community leaders through an eight-week paid internship with the YMCA of Metropolitan Washington and the all-expenses paid Student Leaders Summit in Washington, D.C. The deadline to apply is January 29, 2016. Click here for more information.

POVERTY | Though the percentage of children living in single-parent homes continues to rise, assistance for their single parents – mostly mothers- is not keeping up. Many families must find creative ways to get by, like making trade offs and relying on their social networks. (Atlantic, 12/1)

ARTS | A growing number of American museums are working to include more works by black artists from the 20th Century in their exhibitions after years of overlooking their significant contributions to fine arts. (NYT, 11/28)

MENTAL HEALTH | A new study finds that accessibility to transit and dense surroundings contribute to a reduced depression risk, particularly for women and the elderly. (City Lab, 12/1)

ECONOMY/INEQUALITY | Is Innovation to Blame for Inequality? (City Lab, 12/1)

PHILANTHROPY |  Mark Zuckerberg Philanthropy Pledge Sets New Giving Standard (Bloomberg, 12/1)

It’s holiday cookie time. Think outside the gingerbread “box” with these options