December 3, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

A look at labor trends in the region

REGION/ECONOMY
The D.C. Office of Revenue Analysis offers a glimpse at the most recent facts and figures behind the connected labor markets of D.C., Maryland, and Virginia. The data show trends in residency, sector, and wages of people in the region. (District Measured, 12/2)

District’s labor market and workforce are tied deeply with those of Maryland and Virginia. If salaries are any indicators, the most educated and productive residents of our neighboring jurisdictions work in the District. In 2014, District residents who worked in the District reported wage earnings of $63,700 compared to $69,400 for commuters from Maryland, and nearly $95,000 for commuters from Virginia. But even within the same sector, District resident’s wages could be low: In the non-profit sector, District residents earned, on average, $68,500 in wages—13 percent less than Maryland workers and 20 percent less than VA workers.

Montgomery warns that lower-than-expected tax revenues spell budget trouble (WaPo, 12/3)

YOUTH | Washington City Paper explores the significant strides the once beleaguered D.C. Child and Family Services Agency has made over the last few years and the important reforms they hope to make in the future to better support youth in foster care and new families. (WCP, 12/3)

RACIAL EQUITY
– The Campaign for Black Male Achievement has released a new report ranking 50 U.S. cities on their efforts to “advance racial progress and black needs.”  D.C. emerged as one of the top three cities with a 97 out of 100 possible points. (WCP, 12/3)

– In Loudoun County, the Leesburg Town Council’s newly-created Diversity Advisory Commission is working to connect low-income and minority residents to resources and services in order to foster greater inclusion in the community. (Loudoun Times, 12/2)

PHILANTHROPY | Using For-Profits to Funnel Big Sums to Charities Raises Transparency Concerns (Chronicle, 12/2)

– According to a recent report released by Loudoun County Public Schools, black, Hispanic, and learning disabled students are suspended at disproportionate rates. As the trend mirrors what is occurring around the  country, officials in the school district are implementing a strategic plan to tackle the issue. (Loudoun Times, 12/2)

– A growing number of schools across the U.S. are incorporating data from surveys on their students’ social-emotional states into their accountability systems in order to determine needs that are often overshadowed by rigorous testing. (NPR, 12/2)

As the year dwindles away, we tend to focus more on the healthier habits we want to pick up (although I just posted about cookies yesterday). Here are some great suggestions to make December your healthiest month yet