December 7, 2015 / Ciara Myers, Editor

The links between the region’s economy and housing market

HOUSING/ECONOMY
In the final installment of the Matters@Hand thought-leadership series sponsored by Enterprise Community Partners, policy expert Lisa Sturtevant, PhD examines the current affordability of housing stock in the Greater Washington region and provides an assessment of the outlook for workers in the area. (Helping Hands Blog, 12/4)

Since 2014, the region’s housing market has cooled somewhat as a result of slower job growth and a restructuring of the region’s economy to include a greater share of jobs in the health and education services sectors—which have relatively lower wages—and a smaller share of Federal government jobs—which tend to have relatively higher wages. While home prices have continued to rise, price appreciation has been slower and sales activity has begun to moderate. The moderating housing market could be a sign that potential first-time homebuyers are not able to buy in the region. Losing these workers—and having difficulty attracting new workers because of high home prices and limited options—will be an added challenge to an already challenging, changing regional economy.

COMMUNITY | Ed Davies, executive director of the DC Trust, has been elected to serve on the governance committee of the Executives’ Alliance to Expand Opportunities for Boys and Men of Color, a network of the nation’s leading philanthropic organizations focused on improving life outcomes for minority males.

SOCIAL PROFITS/CSR | In his latest blog post, Tim McClimon, president of the American Express Foundation and head faculty member for the Institute for CSR, looks at the issue of higher-than-expected turnover rates for senior executives in the social profit sector based on a recent study by The Bridgespan Group. (American Express, 12/7)

VETERANS/VIRGINIA | Virginia announces free legal services program for low-income veterans (WTOP, 12/7)

– A growing number of schools are looking beyond daily attendance rates to take a more data-driven and personalized approach to combat chronic absence – a strong indicator as to whether or not a student will eventually graduate. (NPR, 12/7)

– Opinion: Hungry, Homeless and in College (NYT, 12/4)

FOOD | The revolutionary technology helping to fight food waste (WaPo, 12/6)

Take this quiz and test your knowledge of worldwide winter holidays.